I'm working on getting my gear and I'm new... so...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are also some wrist computers that use an optional transmitter so you pay less for the computer now - on your wrist where you can see it during your ascent and while holding your safety stop then add the transmitter later when you buy your regs. I doubt many shops will be willing to add your transmitter to their rental regs without some advance notice - more importantly they don't want you doing it since if you strip the port - they can throw away the reg.

I dive a Gekko (predecessor to the Zoop) for the last decade. It's not air-integrated so I also have a mini-console - a smaller pressure and depth gauge. I use the computer for depth so the other is redundant unless the computer fails.

When you buy a computer - be sure you can operate it. My Gekko came with a quick-use card - I lost it a few years ago. I pick it up after not using it for months, run through the menus and am good to go. I had a Uwatec before that - it required a series of presses on 4 different buttons to change functions - I carried the manual everywhere I went.

Get one with a user replaceable battery. Not that you even have to do it but you might. Not a bad idea to keep a service kit in your save-a-dive kit either - most run around $25 online - it's a $2 battery and the right o-ring.Sometimes a plastic tool to remove the old one.

Shearwater is the current computer darling on SB so I'm sure someone will recommend one soon. I personally would not wear that on my wrist. I am interested in their new Teric though. They use OLED displays which shorten the battery life but will be highly visible where you're going to be diving. Shearwater's are also most of $1K although there seems to be some good deals on used Perdix's since the Teric started shipping...lol

Good advice about buying regs - buy what you can get serviced locally. All well turned regs breathe about the same. Better models are sealed which is a consideration for the temperatures you'll dive in. Sealed also helps keep the gunk out on Piston-based regs - less important on Diaphragm models since the mechanicals are behind the diaphragm.

Buy something with 2 HP ports - one for the future computer transmitter - the other for an spg. Most models above entry level will have 2 plus 3-4 LP ports for better hose routing.. Some like Atomic Aquatics also have turret swivels for this. It's what I dive.

Since you indicated you're not petite - look at back-inflate bcd's as they won't squeeze your front during use..Either a conventional bcd, the suggested bp/w or there's also hybrids like the Zeagle Express Tech or some of the Transpack/Transplate line - they're soft back plates that are modular - you buy/add pockets, weight systems etc as needed.

As mentioned if you go the hard backplate/wing route - have someone help you set it up, size the wing for the conditions. cut/seal the straps and most likely buy a steel plate due to all the neoprene. Nice thing is the weight counts as some of your needed dive weight so you carry less free weight. You do want some that's ditchable until you have a lot more experience. It can go on a belt, in pockets or from companies like DSS - some bolts on permanently. That of course is not ditch-able unless you drop your whole rig in an emergency.

my .02

I'd argue a bit for BC first, and for BP/W. The BC is the base that you hang everything off of. So having that stay the same can help. It can also influence optimal hose length, so figuring out which way you're going BC wise helps in not rebuying hoses later.

Where abouts in California are you?
That will determine a lot about what type of gear is Available in your area.
California dive shops are not known to be very Back Plate & Wing friendly. Most shops will just carry the standard stuff and they will be very pushy to sell you an entire outfit or package without listening to too much input from you. They figure they are the experts and your are a know nothing so just be aware of that. I’m not saying all dive shops are bad, I’m just saying that they definitely have sales in mind and if they see a ripe one they will not hesitate to go in for the plucking. So it’s great that you’re here to get primed first, many new divers aren’t as lucky.
Getting back to the gear.
Get a suit first. Some of us have discovered using freediving suits for scuba. They aren’t good for deep diving but for depths down to 60’ they are fine. They are very warm with minimal water exchange. All the ones I’ve seen have attached hoods which eliminates all cold water shock down your neck and back. They are also two piece beaver tail cut with no zippers so they seal really well. They do need to be lubed up though to get into with a hair conditioner/water solution in a squirt bottle. It’s a little hassle but the inside of the suit is open cell neoprene so it acts like an entire body seal, and the suit will never stink. It also makes your skin soft.
The other suit options are numerous. Try on a lot of stuff on and also ask about maybe ordering a suit from a company that will do some custom mods if requested. I know it's a long shot because most off the rack suits are all made in China and custom isn't an option, but there might be a domestic company left somewhere that might accomodate your needs. There used to be in the past that operated in Seattle.
Next I would buy your own regs, then BC (or ultimately the two together).
Rsingler here on SB is a great resource for quality used regulator sets (I’ll be setting up a buddy myself through him).
Believe it or not, I make custom backplates. Depending on where you are and where you dive, it could be arranged for you to see one and even try one. I have three different sizes including one for people 5’2” and up. It wouldn’t be the cheapest option and not the most expensive either, but they are super custom and combined with the new wings from an outfit in FL (vintagedoublehose.com - Argonaut series wings), you’d have a top of the line rig.
After that you could get a computer.
Did they teach you tables? If so, you could just use those for fun shore dives along our coast. I hardly ever use a computer for shore dives in Sonoma county because I never get deep enough or stay long enough to use up my NDL.
I leave the computer behind just to eliminate the risk of losing it or damaging it, why take it if I don’t need it?
I hope all this helps.
Don’t get overwhelmed! All this will begin to sink in. You’re in good company :)

AnyWaterSports in San Jose rents BP/Ws, or at least they had one demo rental unit for that when I was getting mine, it is on the expensive side of the brands, Halcyon. dolphinscuba in Sacramento has BP/W in their web store, so they might rent them as well, I've never been there though.

Harness and wing - much better than BCD in my opinion. I'm short and love my harness/wing set up - much more freedom and range of movement. Plus i find its much tidier :) and, if I may be so *ahem* forward to say - its much better for the tatas... they don't get squished :wink:

First though make sure you want to continue diving (and regularly) otherwise you'll be out quite a pretty penny and gear is just hanging around doing nothing, shame :(

Mask, fins and booties, rash guard and shorts - these were my first purchases. I dive usually in warm water so a rash guard and shorts is enough, if I dive in colder waters I rent from the shop but its drama with the fitting (I'm short with a big bum and big boobs but a small waist) so I'm looking to purchase both a wet and dry suit for myself...

Then I bought a dive computer that doubles as a daily watch, so it was worth getting that pretty quickly. (Suunto D4 - good watch, uncomplicated and small enough for my wrist) Also, it logs each of your dives and is specific to you. It's a worthwhile investment.

Next: Harness/wing and regulator. These I bought at the same time, it just made more sense to me. I had tested the regulator on a trip and fell in love with it, so bought it. I tried a number of different types on different occasions and just felt it was the best for me. (Scubapro MK25 EVO S600 in case you were wondering) If you have to chose one - I would recommend buying the Regulator set first - its life saving equipment and can affect your air consumption. In having said that, a BCD (or harness/wing) is also important. Like a previous poster mentioned, purchase a Reg Set you can get serviced locally.

Hope this helps, Happy diving!!!

My 2 cents

Get a suit first. Those rental suits are horrible. Take your time with the rest and determine your order after talking to as many divers as you can. Ask them questions about their purchases and what they like/don't like when you dive with them.

I bought a Zeagle Zena as a kit with my regs and my computer (Pro Plus 2.1) shortly after getting certified. While I like my set up I wish I had waited. I've dived with so many folks and seen so many options that I didn't know about. Most people will be happy to show you their gear and give you a quick demo. It's a great education.

I highly recommend watching Scuba Tech Tips on YouTube. Alec Peirce breaks down what you need to know.

Get the suit first.

My late wife was 5’3 and fuller. She got a Henderson that fit like a glove and we had the arms and legs shortened.

A short backplate/wing from a guy that fell out favor on SB was the ticket after wasting money on a pretty looking standard BCD.

Henderson Aqualock!

Bare products are amazing, as well. Their infrared technology really does keep you warm!

Back
Top Bottom