Storing regulator in a regulator bag

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am curious why regs need to be stored in a regulator bag. I've always kept mine coiled in a rubbermaid container along with all my other gear. Any thoughts?

Hory

I take mine all part and throw them in a big junk box for storage and only reassemble as many as is required for the occasion, sometimes I get the parts mixed up but it does not seem to hurt even if it looks odd, kinda like Johnny Cash song, I Got It One Step At A Time.

Tupperware does not fit well or stuff nicely as does a bag. I think a better way to carry your regulators would be to put them on the bottom of the bag and then lay a stainless steel plate on top of them and then pile all of your remaining gear on top. This way when the airline baggage handles flip your bag upside down like they do, why only the Supreme Being knows, and thus your regulator will actually be on top. And that way when they pile other really heavy bags on top your regulator will arrive squashed.

Other than that, who needs a regulator bag?

N

I store mine in a Rubbermaid 3 Gallon Roughneck Box, and only use a regulator bag for air travel. I like the extra padding of the reg bag, but have duplicated it's value by wrapping my regs in towels and placing all in my carry-on backpack.

while not so possessive, I am one of those people that does not like rental gear of any kind. Wear a wetsuit that hasnt been cleaned properly and you could end with staph or a number of other nasty bugs on your skin, same with regs, you dont know what kind of hygiene that last person had and breathing maladies are really bad. TB, Strept. foot n mouth etc. I just prefer to have my own gear and then I know how it is maintained, I know how it is cleaned I know what its going to do when I put it on and put it in the water.

Strange question, why carry your regs in carry on luggage?

If my luggage gets delayed, at least I will have my regulator and computer with me, so I can still dive with my most important dive gear. Also "$$ shiny things $$ "have been known to disappear from TSA locked bags, better to hand carry.

I am someone who would rather have my regs with me in my carry on but some countries do not allow scuba in carry on's. When I was in the Philippines, no one said anything about my carry on, but the PH TSA might check your bags.

Philippines - Getting there - Siren Fleet

Quote from website:
Please note that the Philippines Office for Transportation Security includes 'scuba equipment' on a list of blunt instruments that are not to be carried in hand luggage on flights originating in the Philippines. We advise that all Siren guests carry all dive related equipment in their check in rather than their carry on luggage as we have had guests prohibited from carrying their regulators in their hand luggage. If you are unsure we would advise that you contact your airline for clarification.

... Also "$$ shiny things $$ "have been known to disappear from TSA locked bags, better to hand carry.
I would be interested to discover what types of things have actually gone missing (other than batteries when trying to leave COZ). I do not recall any reports here on SB.

Back
Top Bottom