PADI AOW vs SSI deep diver qualifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

60plus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A dive centre I will be diving with shortly has suggested that I might find the SSI deep diver a better qualification than PADI AOW. An advantage I can see is that SSI deep qualifies to 40m whereas AOW is 30m. I am fairly familiar with AOW but not at all with SSI deep diver. Anyone any info or comment on the SSI qualification?

A dive centre I will be diving with shortly has suggested that I might find the SSI deep diver a better qualification than PADI AOW. An advantage I can see is that SSI deep qualifies to 40m whereas AOW is 30m. I am fairly familiar with AOW but not at all with SSI deep diver. Anyone any info or comment on the SSI qualification?
What do you mean by "qualify"? i.e. what part of your life do you think would be different after taking one course over the other?

These are simply different training courses. Neither is a diving license. There is nothing magic about 30m vs 40m. The industry recognized depth for recreational diving is 40m.

There is no scuba police, but dive operators can make up any rules they want.

Padi AOW is equal to SSI AA

The deep diver speciality is nice, It allows you to go to 40 meters as you say. But the SSI AA or Padi AOW includes other qualifications than depth, like night diving and navigation. But it also depends on where you are diving, how many divesites is deeper than 30 meters? I have done most dives in tropical settings where most sites are down to 30 meters, but visibility often decline when going deeper than 25, temperature drops, and airconsumption and NDL tends to give you a lot more divetime around 10-20 meters then i does below 30 meters. But if you dive more where the interesting stuff is down below 30 meters it is preferable.

I first got the SSI AA then the deep speciality.

Padi AOW is equal to SSI AA

The deep diver speciality is nice, It allows you to go to 40 meters as you say. But the SSI AA or Padi AOW includes other qualifications than depth, like night diving and navigation. But it also depends on where you are diving, how many divesites is deeper than 30 meters? I have done most dives in tropical settings where most sites are down to 30 meters, but visibility often decline when going deeper than 25, temperature drops, and airconsumption and NDL tends to give you a lot more divetime around 10-20 meters then i does below 30 meters. But if you dive more where the interesting stuff is down below 30 meters it is preferable.

I first got the SSI AA then the deep speciality.
PADI OW allows you to go to 40m.

PADI OW allows you to go to 40m.

PADI OW allows you to go to 100000 meter, but I have not yet seen any dive operator that take divers with OW cert deeper than 18 meters. ...

PADI OW allows you to go to 100000 meter, but I have not yet seen any dive operator that take divers with OW cert deeper than 18 meters. ...
As I said, various dive ops are free to make up any rules they wish.

The majority of dive operations are quite happy to take any certified diver down to the accepted industry depth limit of 40m. I have never encountered any dive op with any other restriction.

I guess you've not dived the wrecks in Florida.
Correct. As I indicated, dive ops are allowed to make up any rules they wish.

As I said, various dive ops are free to make up any rules they wish.

The majority of dive operations are quite happy to take any certified diver down to the accepted industry depth limit of 40m. I have never encountered any dive op with any other restriction.

It may be regional differences, on the places i dived with operators (SEA) all operators i dived with have been restrictive to not take customers on dives they not have certification for. Maybe it can be a way of making a extra buck to sell a speciality cource, or liability dessitions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom