PADI AOW vs SSI deep diver qualifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mainly in reply to post #2. At the majority of the places I wish to dive you are only permitted to dive to the depth on your qualification. I am presently PADI OW and therefore limited to 18m. This is "policed" by the people who run the boat or trip, not having the appropriate certification means you are not allowed on that boat or trip. I want to do a number of dives over 18m, wrecks (not entry into) in particular.

It may be regional differences, on the places i dived with operators (SEA) all operators i dived with have been restrictive to not take customers on dives they not have certification for. Maybe it can be a way of making a extra buck to sell a speciality cource, or liability dessitions.
Bingo == Extra Buck.

you do realize that originally there was only PADI OW. Good to 40m. Later in life PADI invented other courses that they could sell.

The dive center is probably SSI. SSI AOW requires 24? dives and 4 specialties, I'd guess there is more classroom in regards to those four specialties verses PADI

PADI AOW does single dives for five specialties, navigation and deep being required.

You can take SSI or PADI deep by themselves - BUT - maybe this is wrong, SSI specialty classes won't count towards PADI AOW????? You still have to make those five dives????

Bingo == Extra Buck.

you do realize that originally there was only PADI OW. Good to 40m. Later in life PADI invented other courses that they could sell.

I realize that originally, there where no PADI, there where YMCA, BSAC, SSDF, LAC or whatever organisation, they certified "SCUBA-diver" good to whatever depth they would dare to try.

The dive center is probably SSI. SSI AOW requires 24? dives and 4 specialties, I'd guess there is more classroom in regards to those four specialties verses PADI

PADI AOW does single dives for five specialties, navigation and deep being required.

You can take SSI or PADI deep by themselves - BUT - maybe this is wrong, SSI specialty classes won't count towards PADI AOW????? You still have to make those five dives????

SSI AA = Padi AOW with about the same qulifications.

SSI AOW is a recognition cert, if you have 4 speciality certs and 24 logged dives you get this card for free.

There is a fair amount of confusion, made-up history and facts in this thread!

PADI AOW is not a specialty, and should not be compared to one in PADI or SSI or elsewhere. It is a sampler course of five dives, each being the first dive of a full specialty. For example, the Deep dive in PADI AOW is just dive #1 of a four-dive DEEP specialty. The Deep specialty qualifies you as trained to 130 ft. The basic OW card has already certified you to 130 ft, but it comes with the recommendation that you not go that deep without further training and experience. Dive operators can put any restrictions they want on you; many choose to say with only an OW card you are stuck at 60 ft max. Not much you can do about that.

PADI did not invent AOW nor all those many specialties. Yes, they make some money off the educational material for the training (but not off the training itself), but it is mainly a customer-driven system. People wanted to pick-and-choose which topics they they spent their time and money on after they got their basic OW card. Someone who does not want to go deep need not get that qualification, either through an AOW-like sampler course or through a full specialty.

SSI AOW is SSI open water plus 4 full specialty courses, such as deep, navigation, night, Nitrox, wreck, etc.

SSI Advanced Open Water Diver is the next recognition rating on the path to becoming an SSI Master Diver, and includes four SSI Specialty program Digital Kits. After completing the four SSI Specialty programs that interest you, as well as 24 logged dives, you will automatically receive the SSI Advanced Open Water Diver recognition rating, along with your SSI Specialty program certifications.​

If you add Stress and Rescue to that you get Master Diver, eg the specialties can be anything, but Stress & Rescue (which requires a current First Aid and CPR to complete the course) is REQUIRED.

SSI AA (Advanced Adventurer) is open water plus one dive from each of 4 specialties, it's not the same as SSI AOW. IT seems to be a gateway to help people decide which specialities they might want to take to completion.

This program allows you to experience five different open water dives from five SSI Specialty programs without requiring you to complete the entire Specialty. If you are unsure of your next step, this is the perfect way to advance your dive skills and experience, and to identify which Specialty programs interest you. You will earn the SSI Advanced Adventurer certification after completing this program.​

Mainly in reply to post #2. At the majority of the places I wish to dive you are only permitted to dive to the depth on your qualification. I am presently PADI OW and therefore limited to 18m.

OW qualification is recreational depths, it is recommended that OW divers limit themselves to 18 meters until they have further training or experience. Operators, and their insurers, can determine the certification and depth with which they will limit their divers, this is a business decision not a certification limit.

Bob

This is not remotely true.

As Tursiops said above, this thread is full of misinformation. Read his post carefully; it is accurate.

I have dived wrecks in FL. If you walk in off the street (i.e. they don't know you) many dive ops require AOW OR require you to hire a private guide for advanced dives. Some will allow you to make your case for advanced dives by showing your logbook detailing past experience with advanced dives. If you'll go out on a few dives with an op so they can get a feel for your skillset, many will take you on advanced dives without AOW. It's not always a hard and fast rule as there is no FL scuba police. The AOW is used as a documented sorting tool that confirms you've been below 60 ft. at some point in the past. It also adds to the credibility of your dive count claim and your claim to have recently been on advanced dives. These questions are usually asked on a pre-dive form. You could say it's also CYA, but I prefer to believe the op genuinely cares for your well being and prefers to conduct their business with as little drama as possible. This has been my personal experience. YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom