Ottawa New Diver Testing New Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Felipe S

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

How does one go about testing new gear, like checking weights/buoyancy...
I would not want to do it during a group dive so I don't delay group.
How do I find a dive buddy to just go and test gear somewhere easy, I guess like Centeen park or Morrison Quarry? I'm in Ottawa and my playground is the St Lawrence.

Hi,

How does one go about testing new gear, like checking weights/buoyancy...
I would not want to do it during a group dive so I don't delay group.
How do I find a dive buddy to just go and test gear somewhere easy, I guess like Centeen park or Morrison Quarry? I'm in Ottawa and my playground is the St Lawrence.
The lakes are warmer - I swim often around Portland and Rideau Ferry. It still doesn't help with a dive buddy though.

The lakes are warmer - I swim often around Portland and Rideau Ferry. It still doesn't help with a dive buddy though.

Oh yeah, how is the dive there? How deep, visibility, what is there to see?

Oh yeah, how is the dive there? How deep, visibility, what is there to see?
Haven't dove there. Just gone swimming. Depth ranges a lot - some areas are 200 feet, some much less. Can't attest to the visibility. Lots of money to be made finding things around marinas though :wink:

Find out when your LDS is doing a night at the pool and ask if you can go at the same time on a non-interference basis.

Find out when your LDS is doing a night at the pool and ask if you can go at the same time on a non-interference basis.
I was going to suggest that as well. Also, though I would never advise solo diving to anyone, why not go to the lake and check everything in water you can stand up in? Weight check, buoyancy can all be done that way and it's not really diving if your not over your head. As well, buoyancy control is hardest the closer you are to the surface. So if it's a bit of practice you need before buddying up for a dive, that's the best place. Sometimes I like to swim back to shore a foot or 2 below the surface, or hover at that depth.

Felipe, I am out at Centeen Park this weekend on an open water course. If you wish we could arrange a time in the afternoon to meet and do a checkout of your gear/weights. Send me a PM.

Felipe, I am out at Centeen Park this weekend on an open water course. If you wish we could arrange a time in the afternoon to meet and do a checkout of your gear/weights. Send me a PM.

That is very nice of you, I will PM you

Felipe, thanks for the dive. I was surprised with your trim and buoyancy, really good. Hope to dive with you again.

Hi John, thank you for the dive, I got a lot more than I was hoping for and I learned a lot. I hope to someday have as much knowledge and experience as you and pay it forward helping someone new like me. Definitely would like to dive with you again, perhaps soon :). Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom