Tipping DM in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove with Blue XT Sea this summer and discussed the tip process with Christi. She specifically said it would not impact service, and it did not. I didn't tip until the end of the week; so they had no idea it was coming. Service was immaculate all week, from everyone. I tipped the Captain on the last day, the entire amount for the week for me and my son's dives. She assured me the crew would all work it out.

I think the boat crews are all very close. After all, they work together every day, so if they've been working together for awhile, I expect they are going to split tips accordingly.

I guess you can chase down specific DM's etc if you want. But I bet it all goes into the hat and they ultimately divvy it out according to their plan.

Tipping is appreciated no mater when it is done and it will not be turned down, but I would do it daily as a boat captain or DM my not be with you everyday.

I've been working in the Caribbean zone for the past 12 years and the Cancun-Cozumel area for the last 5 and sadly, tips are, in most place the main revenue for DM's... I say sadly because having also worked in Asia, where tips are unheard of, pro's make much more money. In the "American" zone, shop owners, like restaurant owners, are relying on tips for the staff's wages so the official wages are much lower...

DM's in the Cancun-PDC-Cozumel area make on average 10usd per 2-tank-diver they guide and Coz is special since most of the DC's have only one 2-tank trip, so a DM with a group of two divers will make 20usd from 8 to 3ish...

This area used to be pretty exclusive to North American divers, but since 2008, the area has exploded in the Asian-European market and they never tip and the millennial generation of divers hardly tip anything at all...

To finally answer the question from somebody on the inside, 5$ a tank is considered basic and appreciated, 10$+ a tank is a very appreciated tip and even though shop owners will tell you tips makes no difference in the service you receive, shows they have no idea how basic human nature works... I can promise you good tippers definitely receive a better experience overall. Then again, if you receive crappy service and attitude, leaving nothing is the way to go...

It would be great time for this practice to be abolished, I hate having to "beg" for a decent wage, but I'm skeptic it will happen in my lifetime...

We tip the boat after each trip. Then at the end of the trip I leave a “group tip” at the shop for all the folks behind the scene that help make it all happen.

We have no set amount. Base tip is typically 5 a tank from each of us then we add to this if there was something out of the norm.

I tip after each dive, but I would prefer to have the same DM for all dives if we like them....the two times we had the same DM for all dives on Coz proved to be the best of times....but even the worst of times on Coz is better than the best of times in NYC:daydream:

I went there last year, none was tipping (and the service was OK with Dive Paradise). I was diving with ppl from USA, Japan, North Europe. I tipped in two occasions ($15 for four dives) because of the nice guy who guided us.

They doesn't seem to expect any tip to be honest, in fact they were pretty surprised when I tipped.. so I'm not sure where this "tip rule" comes from or if Dive Paradise is a "special case" in Cozumel.

Tip is a grateful gesture when you receive an exceptional treatment not the norm, if it's a mandatory thing it would be included int he dive prices.[/QU

We have gone diving with Dive Paradise many times, and have always tipped. Because we have usually gone in a group, we do a group tip for the entire boat at the end of the week. We always have the same DM. We typically do $5/tank for the boat, and an additional tip for DM and anyone else who has been especially helpful. These guys don't make much, and tips are always appreciated.

Last trip we fed 9 of them for under $50 from Mr Taco.....lol
Hey big spender! $50!?! That'll get you five tacos and two drinks each, and still have enough for cab fare to get everyone back home at Mr Taco!

It would be great time for this practice to be abolished, I hate having to "beg" for a decent wage, but I'm skeptic it will happen in my lifetime...
Are you suggesting that those of us who tip should stop?

I also tip $10/tank for good service.

It's kind of painful now that I'm married to another diver and have to tip for two.

Same for me, both divers so pay for two. We pay $10/tank standard everywhere and usually go above for good to great service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom