Question about learning deco procedures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought the Italians claimed the kissing thing.
You got me curious, so I searched and found this: Pucker Up: The Origin Of The French Kiss

However I think it's just the name that got created in this story. I'd bet that the actual act was invented long before countries such as France or Italy (or any other) were invented.

You got me curious, so I searched and found this: Pucker Up: The Origin Of The French Kiss

However I think it's just the name that got created in this story. I'd bet that the actual act was invented long before countries such as France or Italy (or any other) were invented.

I pity any new diver looking up 'deco procedures' and coming across this thread.

An argument about the origins of kissing and the french kiss. :)

I'd bet that the actual act was invented long before countries such as France or Italy (or any other) were invented.
I would guess in some shadowy recess in a cave.

I do very slow ascents on every dive. Came close to NDL a few times at Dutch Springs.. again slow ascents. Deep stops at 1/2 the max depth and 10 feet increments for 1 minute and then 3 minutes at 15 and then CRAWL from 15 to surface. My ears love me. To be completely honest and I will catch crap for saying this I dont see the major issue with a handful of minutes of deco. I have done deco style ascents for years. I can hold buoyancy at any depth up to 3 feet under water and hover if I choose to. That said, I dont officially have the training so I dont do deco diving. Once I get doubles it's straight into tec and we will go from there. I agree with an earlier reply here that rocketing up from 1 minute shy of deco is much more risky than incurring the few minutesof deco and doing the stop. Its not rocket science. We are not talking about multiple stage diving down below recreational limits. "deco' dives are not all born alike.

I do very slow ascents on every dive. Came close to NDL a few times at Dutch Springs.. again slow ascents. Deep stops at 1/2 the max depth and 10 feet increments for 1 minute and then 3 minutes at 15 and then CRAWL from 15 to surface. My ears love me. To be completely honest and I will catch crap for saying this I dont see the major issue with a handful of minutes of deco. I have done deco style ascents for years. I can hold buoyancy at any depth up to 3 feet under water and hover if I choose to. That said, I dont officially have the training so I dont do deco diving. Once I get doubles it's straight into tec and we will go from there. I agree with an earlier reply here that rocketing up from 1 minute shy of deco is much more risky than incurring the few minutesof deco and doing the stop. Its not rocket science. We are not talking about multiple stage diving down below recreational limits. "deco' dives are not all born alike.

Depending on what you mean by ‘very slow’ your ascents might be less than ideal.

I am a very conservative (dive-wise, that is) recreational diver. When I did my AOW, as part of my deep/wreck training (Lake Superior, burr!), I learned the basics of deco. I'm surprised that it isn't taught as part of recreational diving because everyone should know what to do if your computer says to make stops. I don't do planned deco dives, but if doing multiple dives over many days, it happens. I've seen divers freak out because their computer "went into deco," and then want to ascend immediately instead of taking the required stops.

We dove Truk years ago, back when divers did it on single tanks of air. We would go down on a wreck, go to 20 feet and hang out until 300 psi, spent surface interval watching our computers to see when we could dive again. No problems except for one advanced solo diver who borrowed a camera and got a bit carried away. He spent a couple of hours at 20 feet, went through 2 tanks of air. Every once in a while someone would put on a mask and wave to him.

I watch my NDL, ascend slowly, and spend lots of time between 15-20 feet. Most of our dives these days are 2 daily guided dives, so my little computer is happy.

Depending on what you mean by ‘very slow’ your ascents might be less than ideal.
Yes, they can, but it gets complicated because the response is really different from different situations.

1. If you are diving using the old system of tables, the tables assumed you were ascending at a certain speed. If you start the ascent near your NDL but ascend slower than the tables call for, you could well have a decompression obligation as a result without knowing it.

2. If you are instead using a computer and ascending very slowly while staying within the NDLs according to the computer algorithm, you are OK.

3. If you are doing deco diving with a software-based dive plan and ascent too slowly to your first scheduled stop, your decompression requirements will have changed as you ascended. As an example, I recently did a technical dive on a wreck, and nearly all the dive teams reported nearly identical dive plans, and every team was using the same computer algorithm. My buddy and I arrived at the ascent line just ahead of the last team to ascend, a team I knew was using the exact same dive plan and the exact same dive computers and settings we were using. When we reached our first decompression stop, I looked back down the line, but they were not in sight. I did not see them emerge from the gloom for several more stops, and they ended up doing 10 more minutes of deco than anyone else did. When asked what happened, they said they did not know--their computer had just kept adding time. I pointed out that they had ascended very slowly from the wreck, and they said, "You're supposed to ascend slowly." Well, the computer wanted them to ascend at 30 FPM, and when they were slower than that, the computer added more decompression time. They were lucky they were using computers. If they were simply following a schedule and then ascending slower than the schedule called for, assuming it did not matter how long it took them to get to the deeper stops, they might have gotten bent.

Back
Top Bottom