Two Scuba Divers Make All the Wrong Moves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This story is fiction.

This story is fiction.

Scuba Diving Magazine, the company that publishes "Lessons For Life" including the one that is the subject of this thread, states on their website and in their magazine that their "Lessons For Life" column documents true incidents, only the names and possibly the locations and other identifying facts are changed for privacy purposes.

I've read all of them and some of them I recognize from news articles, such as the recent multiple fatality on the Spiegel Grove when the group used floating chemical light sticks to mark their progress as they penetrated deeply into the wreck without the proper equipment and training. The ones I recognize are always accurate.

"Lessons For Life" column documents true incidents, only the names and possibly the locations and other identifying facts are changed for privacy purposes.

I don't buy it. One of their articles had a diver spend 74 minutes at over 100' on a single 80 with air. A SAC of 0.5 and having deco gases would require double that amount of back gas alone.

Scuba Diving Magazine, the company that publishes "Lessons For Life" including the one that is the subject of this thread, states on their website and in their magazine that their "Lessons For Life" column documents true incidents, only the names and possibly the locations and other identifying facts are changed for privacy purposes.

I've read all of them and some of them I recognize from news articles, such as the recent multiple fatality on the Spiegel Grove when the group used floating chemical light sticks to mark their progress as they penetrated deeply into the wreck without the proper equipment and training. The ones I recognize are always accurate.
Having been personally involved in more than one of the incidents later examined in Lessons for Life, let me just say that they are taking 100% poetic license after the initial sentence.

Having personal knowledge of one of their reported incidents", let me back up @Wookie 100% that their stories are not even close to reality. A survivor of one of them is a close friend and his account differed so much from that reported, it was hard to recognize that it was the same story. (It was).

Having been personally involved in more than one of the incidents later examined in Lessons for Life, let me just say that they are taking 100% poetic license after the initial sentence.

Even the one in the Sea of Cortez where a solo diver was attacked by hundreds of Humboldt squid, fights them all off, after having a failure of his primary air source and switching to a SpareAir at 200 feet? And lives? Cuz that one sounded pretty believable to me.

haha... the story is about Jack and Diana... Mellencamp wrote a song about them when they were teenagers. Now we know what happened to them in their 30's.

Re the Jack and Diana Lesson for Life:

I seem to recall years ago a ScubaBoarder, who was involved in the discovery of two deceased divers, posting an incident very similar to this one. I can't find the post, but I think that the details in common were:
-male and female, inexperienced divers
-male's BC didn't hold air
-entangled in the descent line
-regulators out
-female dropped her weights, male did not
-initial rescuers tried to pull the divers to the surface using the descent line, which broke

I wonder if this is that incident, with some details changed. The same "Lessons" would still follow from the incident. Maybe someone can point us back to the original incident report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom