Scuba DPV under $1000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I highly suggest you demo one before buying it. These are only slightly better than a pool toy scooter.

No doubt at that. I will say that I have two friends who have used the aquaprop that seem to disagree with your assessment. I don't think anyone suggested it would be a good option for cave/tech or long distance runs. But for a fun small scooter, like the OP is asking about, it seems like a fine option.

No doubt at that. I will say that I have two friends who have used the aquaprop that seem to disagree with your assessment. I don't think anyone suggested it would be a good option for cave/tech or long distance runs. But for a fun small scooter, like the OP is asking about, it seems like a fine option.

I know several people who were told how great these were then they took them diving and found out they wouldn't even pull a diver through the lips at Gennie. I think for ow boat diving where the runtime is very short and the current is worse than anything you can swim into then they would be okay. For cave diving the scooter weight doesn't matter nearly as much for most caves. I would go with a UV 26 / 18 over this scooter anyday and just deal with the weight on land.

The aquaprop I demoed was a joke. The uv and mako are substantially better.

The Aquaprop is just a recreational toy in the style of a real scooter. Sure I'd take it piddling around a shallow reef for fun, but I sure as hell wouldn't try doing anything with it that involved anything more than a single tank.

I wouldn't rely on the aquaprop on a cave dive for penetration, but i do see how it could have it's place as a cheap, small, don't notice it's there backup scooter that could aid exit. Obviously not as good as a real backup scooter, but better than nothing. I've done a few solo scooter dives in Ginnie and kept my penetration very short since I was alone and felt fine. Having a little toy to drag me out could be nicer in an oh sh!t moment. Though personally I'd rather put the money towards a suex vr when one eventually comes up used.

I got a suex vr myself. It doesn't have all the cool features a xjoy14/37 has (cruise control, bypass, fuel gauge, stepless speed control). But for the price tag its a awesome dpv with good burntime. its much cheaper then a xjoy14/37, but it still costs way more then 1k$. I think its the cheapest scooter for serious diving.

you can probably get some older heavy dpv's second hand with a decent burn time.

uv26's run about 1k used right now with decent batteries.
It's a bummer on land at 95# but I love the ride, always choose my uv over t16.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom