Are all 7mm wetsuits created equal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wetwear 3mm is as warm as my BARE 5 at depth
I bought my wife a custom wetwear 3mm. While their website claims it's as warm as a 5mm she says that it's not even close. She can't stand the 72f spring water in the 3mm wetwear, but it's manageable in a 5mm rental from our LDS. It just sucks to put on an off the rack 5mm that doesn't fit as nicely as the custom wetwear.

I think Eric provides a good synopsis of information, but I would like to add a few comments that pertain specifically to MAKO Spearguns Freedive suits.

First, the comment that the quality of the neoprene sets the price point of the suit is generally true.

However, I use the BEST neoprene material available for the application. Genuine Yamamoto rubber. Most manufacturer's will not tell you the source of their neoprene. Our suits sell for much less because we sell DIRECT - not because we use inferior materials. I don't want to imply that Eric was mistaken or was in any way biased against a particular manufacturer, but I thought it important to provide some more details about our suits since they were specifically mentioned earlier.

Another comment Eric made was about the "cut" of freedive suits. He is absolutely correct; most of the freedive suits are made for the European market. This demographic (of serious freedivers) tends to be thinner and less muscular than most American divers.

I don't want to offend anyone, but suits made for the Asian and European market are cut for a different body type than the "robust" Americans. Our suits are specifically cut for a typical body type which falls into the height and weight ranges we provide. If you look at our wetsuit models, they are not super thin and the one young man is actually quite muscular.

So if you are of average or somewhat thicker build, MAKO wetsuits should fit you very well if you choose a suit from the appropriate height and weight guidelines. The elasticity of the Yamamoto neoprene also enhances comfort, range of motion, ability to breath easily and gives us some room to handle a typical body shape.

We offer up to 8 different sizes from youth large up to XXXL in men's suits. We offer women's suits as well.

I also want to thank Jim Lapenta for his continued support. I know he has adopted the use of our elastic rubber weight belts for scuba and I look forward to any continued feedback he can provide on his new 5 mm MAKO suit - which I presume he will also be using primarily for scuba.

Dive Safe!

Dano

I am not on my computer, so reply directly to the last few messages will take much too long but thank you for your comments.

I just updated another thread about my BCD choice, but my LDS has helped me immensely in picking the right wetsuit for me. Or at least for my current wants and resources.

I did go with a Henderson’s, but that had to do with stock availability and the fact that it just felt right as soon as I put it on.

I should be picking up the wetsuit and the rest of my kit on Wednesday.

Again thanks for all you assistance, and education. I feel like I’ve learned something knew, and that can only help.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom