Stuck regulator adjustment knob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k4kafka

Contributor
Reaction score
My 3 year old Atomic B2 regulator’s adjustment knob is “frozen solid”...it ain’t turnin’.
Atomic can repair under warranty, but their turn around time is 3-4weeks,andI am leaving for Palau next month. Underwater,the reg seems to be breathing normally. Should I be concerned I might have some sort of problem

if it works good, i would use it as is. fix it later. whats the harm if you have been using it all along up to now...one of the worst things you can do is go on a trip with a reg that has just been in the shop. That is when something will always go sideways...

Most likely salt deposits

And/or lack of lubrication between two glass-filled plastic parts (Adjust Sleeve, Knob Stem, Spring Pad) causing galling and binding.

Atomic B2 adjuster.JPG

Warm water bath overnight in 1/3 vinegar.
Then warm water soak/rinse. Salt water verdigris corrosion always accompanies the deposits, tho there's very little in the zirconium barrel. And if it's titanium, then it's just plastic binding as @Fibonacci said, bc there's nothing to corrode.
One more reason to soak your regs overnight in the sink after a trip.
Atomic makes fine stuff, and I love mine, but I have had your issue, too, because the part tolerances are so fine.

One more thing...those plastic parts jam most often in the OUT position (fully unscrewed counterclockwise). When you next try to check, make sure to screw in clockwise. They're never frozen in an intermediate position, so trying to wiggle it both ways may make it worse. I store my regs now with the knob screwed in 5 minutes on the clock (1/12 turn) from the fully out position.

I'd try the plain water 1st - vinegar mix is good for removing verdigris (corrosion) but will tend to make plastics brittle. I'd bet that the warm water soak will do though as it's likely just salt deposits.

Back
Top Bottom