What are the accessories that you will always dive with, and why ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you again. I will try to reach Steve Blanchard and Dany Dulac and get their opinions, too. Also, I was accepted just now on FB with the GUE Ontario group. :)

Nice. I'm in that group also as well as the TAUE (Toronto Area Underwater Explorers) group, which was originally created for GUE-curious divers. It's based in and around Toronto, but anyone's welcome.

Steve and his wife Chantelle are admins on GUE Ontario. Dany's an admin on GUE Quebec, and Heison Chak, another GUE instructor, is an admin on TAUE.

I dive low to zero visibility on most of my dives. Hence I carry the below on every dive.

Most of my dives - Local quarry

1. DIY scuba helmet with GoPro and lights (one flood - camera light - left side of helmet - really helps the image quality) and one DGX 600 - right side to cut through the muck = So I can see
2. DGX 800 as backup - bungied down chest strap DIR style = So I can see
3. 1 dive Knife - on my waist belt - perpendicular to the webbing. Small knife = Entangelement
4. One Trylobite on my right waist strap - tucked towards the back near by backplate = Entanglement
5. One Trylobite mounted on my tank strap - This is for Buddy to reach if needed = Entanglement
6. Pony Bottle - back mounted - either a 19 or a 30 depends on the dive = So I can breathe
7. One smaller SMB rolled up in my DIY custom SMB pvc carrier - budgie tied to my backplate (right side) = So I can deploy at surface in the event of a wing failure
8. One larger SMG - Lift bag - bungied to backplate - left side = So I can deploy at depth in case of a wing failure
9. Spool = to deploy large SMB from depth

If I go wreck diving - Same as above plus..

1. I add a thigh pocket to my waist strap
2. In said pocket I have a whistle and Singal mirror

1. DSMB with 75' spool on right hip
2. Small blunt tip cutter on inflator hose
3. EMS shears on chest strap
4. Flashight and backup light bungied down to bc shoulder straps
5. Small signal mirror on back of console or in bc pocket
6. Whistle on BC shoulder strap (ziptied facing up within easy reach of my mouth in case i cant reach it with my hands)
7. Small mesh bag for trash (and treasure ...)
8. Wrist Compass and computer
9. GoPro stashed somewhere via boltsnap, depends on the dive & if its on a stick
10. Spare doubleender with dsmb line wrapped around it
11.I also keep a lighter in a ziplock in my pocket, kinda like bullets, you don't always need them until you really need them. (can be changed out to a flint / steel thing if needed, the flash from the striker is like a strobe on a dark night)
I catch alot of crap for being "that Guy" on the boat with all this stuff but who do they all come to when there's a problem? Thaaaaaaats right ...
Oh Yeah one last piece of critical gear, at least one tiny rubber chicken ,cuz ya never know when you need one!

I dive tropical warm water (mostly Florida). Because of my particular conditions (drift diving from boats, currents, some wrecks) I have DSMB and reel, storm whistle, and cutting tool as "mandatory" accessories. The only other thing I carry and use every single dive, by choice, is a very bright primary light. It brings out all the vibrant colors of the soft and hard corals and tropical fishes, especially below 50 feet. I have it mounted on my hand and never turn it off unless it seems I am scaring a particular critter. It just enhances the enjoyment of the dive in a big way.

Every dive...
- Small 4" dive knife (permanently attached to my BC webbing)
-Ceramic DGX trilobite (permanently attached to my BC webbing)
-Safety Whistle (permanently attached to my BC webbing)
-Stainless Steel Spool with maybe 60’-70’ feet of line
-Small, 3’ DSMB, pre-attached to the spool line (6’ DSMB if the seas are choppier)
-Spare Double ender
-A single light DGX light on my day dives to look under ledges, or in nooks and crannies. Two lights on a night dive…

Maybe some changes I’ll make going forward…
-I got a good deal on a ‘used’ but never wet Nautilus Lifeline. I’d like to ‘permanently attach’ that to my BC if I can find an out of the way spot that doesn’t interfere with anything else.
-Lastly, maybe adding some additional ‘find me gear’ (i.e.. strobe light, marking dye, signal mirror) if I’m ever lucky enough to dive where they might need to be used (the south pacific comes to mind)…

The only other thing I carry and use every single dive, by choice, is a very bright primary light. It brings out all the vibrant colors of the soft and hard corals and tropical fishes, especially below 50 feet. I have it mounted on my hand and never turn it off unless it seems I am scaring a particular critter. It just enhances the enjoyment of the dive in a big way.
Interesting. What brand and model ?

I most always dive with my spouse. Why? Because if not it costs me dearly. And under no circumstance is she considered an accessory.

My dive knife. Because of Sea Hunt!

And seeing abandoned fishing nets wrapped around a reef :eek:

The choice of accessories depends on which suit I am diving. If I choose the blue wetsuit, then I must have the Dive Rite fins that match, and the red SMB in the ocean, blue reel in the caves. If I choose the basic black dry suit, then I use the turtle fins, black of course, and if in the ocean, a yellow SMB, always a good match. If it is after Labor Day, then I cannot use white line on my spools, its just not done, I use yellow or red, to match the SMB choice. Since I have lenses in my mask, I have picked a clear one, it goes with everything.

Back
Top Bottom