Different GF visulalisation after the dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flotul

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi All,

Since I'm new to "hi-tech" dive computers, I don't know if it is possible, after the dive is uploaded in the PC, to see the decompression stops for the different available GF.

Is it?

Roger

Hi All,

Since I'm new to "hi-tech" dive computers, I don't know if it is possible, after the dive is uploaded in the PC, to see the decompression stops for the different available GF.

Is it?

No. The log reflects the dive you did. It isn't a planning tool.

Conveniently, Shearwater has exactly that... a dive planning feature. Simply run your proposed dive and make note of the deco times. Then change the GF and repeat the dive. Repeat until you have what you need.

Obviously you will see a difference in the total deco, but you will also see a difference in the way deco is being calculated. Deeper stops and all that.

I have mine set at 40/85 which is Shearwater's default "moderate" setting. It will easily slide me into 30, 40, 50 foot stops, but only for a minute. Basically, if I ascent slowly, the deeper stops are pretty much pauses, rather than stops.

Thanks Stoo,

I'll give it a try - I don't know all the functions of my computer yet so I have to discover things.

I'm really curious about these "deep stops" and GF I've never had to deal with before. It is very interesting indeed :)

br

Roger

Hi All,

Is it?

Roger

I think Subsurface does pretty much what you looking for.
After you download your dive to subsurface, it can display the deco ceiling reported by the dive computer during the dive. It can also display the deco ceiling calculated by the subsurface itself for the dive profile.
Then there is an option to "edit dive in dive planner" which displays your dive profile in the dive planner application.
There you can edit decompression model parameters (gradient factors or VPM conservatism) and display the new calculated deco ceiling overlayed to your actual dive profile.
This is a nice way to visualize effects GF:s on an actual dive profile.

Like this.
I planned and dove GF 40/80 backgas deco, extending the last stop a few minutes to stay with my buddy and increase conservatism. The sea was a bit rough so we didn't rush to 3 meters after the 6 m stop was cleared.

upload_2018-9-20_10-29-43.png

The same profile with GF 30/70 ceiling.

upload_2018-9-20_10-31-41.png

GF 50/80 would omit the short 9 meter stop. Differences are not that huge with this profile.

upload_2018-9-20_10-34-9.png

This is of course not 100% correct, because doing or skipping deeper stops will effect also the following deco ceiling. But you can edit your profile in the editor to obey the changed deco ceiling and see how it will end.
Or you can delete all the datapoints after the bottom phase and let the planner calculate new ascent profiles for you with different parameters, but with the exposure from your actual dive.

The same dive, but with an ascent plan carrying EAN50.

upload_2018-9-20_11-18-5.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom