Confused with what my LDS is directing me towards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is definitely some good food for thought in this thread.

I don't recall if I've said this before, so forgive me if I'm repeating myself, but buying used gear (in my opinion) is okay if you know what the potential problems could be, but as a first time buyer/user........well I'd rather go new so I can figure out how things should actually work. If when the time comes I need to trade up or add to my kit, then maybe used could be the better way to go?

I think for now what I will do is rent some gear and see what and how that feels, and then try and make a better informed decision.

I still think that the Scubapro reg set is better for the cold water diving here in Ontario compared to other stuff that I've read, but again the education will continue.

First and foremost is to see my ENT about getting my ears fixed, they are still blocked from a dive a few weeks ago.......or at least partially blocked. LOL.....

Now this time I know that I'm repeating myself, but THANK YOU all for your well thought out comments and replies, it sure makes a new guy feel welcome!

John

I thought I would give an update to this thread since I received so many helpful replies.......

I’ve been back and forth with my LDS (and spoken with several others), but in the end went with a Scubapro Knighthawk.

Though I didn’t get the chance to try this one out in the water, I did try a few other brands so I’m sure with a bit of practice I will get the hang of a wing BCD.

I’m disappointed that in order to qualify for the parts for life program through Scubapro I would have to buy their reg set, octo, 3 guage system, BCD and one of their DC’s.

Since I’ve already got a brand new DC I didn’t feel the need for another one, so their package didn’t work.

I opted to go with the Apeks XTX200 with their Egress octo.

My LDS allowed me to take a single pressure gauge, instead of the 3 inline one and is also including a wrist compass.

Even though this isn’t a full Apeks package, I will still get their parts for life......providing I don’t miss my servicing.

All this and I’m just under 2k CDN, so I’m quite pleased.

It should all be ready for pickup Wednesday.

Again thanks for you guidance in my selection of wing over jacket.

John

I'm not familiar with prices in Canada, but that's a killer reg and you really can't go wrong with it.

I thought I would give an update to this thread since I received so many helpful replies.......

I’ve been back and forth with my LDS (and spoken with several others), but in the end went with a Scubapro Knighthawk.

Though I didn’t get the chance to try this one out in the water, I did try a few other brands so I’m sure with a bit of practice I will get the hang of a wing BCD.

I’m disappointed that in order to qualify for the parts for life program through Scubapro I would have to buy their reg set, octo, 3 guage system, BCD and one of their DC’s.

Since I’ve already got a brand new DC I didn’t feel the need for another one, so their package didn’t work.

I opted to go with the Apeks XTX200 with their Egress octo.

My LDS allowed me to take a single pressure gauge, instead of the 3 inline one and is also including a wrist compass.

Even though this isn’t a full Apeks package, I will still get their parts for life......providing I don’t miss my servicing.

All this and I’m just under 2k CDN, so I’m quite pleased.

It should all be ready for pickup Wednesday.

Again thanks for you guidance in my selection of wing over jacket.

John

I wish you decades of happy, fun, enjoyable, safe and trouble free diving!!

Congratulations on your purchase. You sought out advice and in the end you made an informed decision. That is all anyone could ask for. Now all that is left after you pick up your new gear is to enjoy it.

Have fun!

So an update to my update.......

I went to pick up my stuff at my LDS today and I misunderstood when they said my kit would be ready. I thought they said today, but it wasn't supposed to be there until later this week.

As luck would have it (good or bad depending on your perspective), they had a Scubapro Hydros Pro come in so I did a dry fit to see what that was like..........well to make a long story short, I've changed from the Knighthawk to the Hydros Pro. LOL....

I still have to wait for my size to come in, but I should be ready to go with everything by Monday now.

In for a penny in for a pound I suppose.

Now I'm off to learn more about that one. :thumb:

+1 on the Apeks Xtx 200. Bullet proof.
The Scubapro Hydros looks great, I read the website and reviews.

Back
Top Bottom