Second Stage - Titan LX vs Titan LX Octopus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raystafarian

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a "Titan LX" (first and second stage) and a "Titan LX Octopus". I've attached a photo to be clear. These two regulators - they are identical (internally/mechanically) except for the color - is that correct? I mean the octo also has a snowflake/asterisk on the top of the plastic too - but that doesn't matter either.

To be clear, I've looked up the specs for both and it's kind of difficult to tell because the Titan LX is bundled with its first stage.

Photo 2018-09-19 10 33 28.jpg

Looking at the 2014 parts catalog, the only difference between the second stage and the octo are the front cover parts...and that is just color. A quick scan of the service manual does call for a slightly different (more conservative ) setting on the octo but no other differences I saw. Your tech may or may not do that.

Looking at the 2014 parts catalog, the only difference between the second stage and the octo are the front cover parts...and that is just color. A quick scan of the service manual does call for a slightly different (more conservative ) setting on the octo but no other differences I saw. Your tech may or may not do that.

Thanks, herman. I opened them up to give a quick brushing to the threads and they appear to be identical for me, but the "octo" does breathe harder, even on the same setting. Maybe that's because I've mainly only used the black one during dives

It should breath harder if the tech set it to specs. The manual specifically calls for the octo to be set differently (harder to breath from) than the primary. This is just an internal adjustment, an extra half turn on an adjusting screw.

Thanks, herman. I opened them up to give a quick brushing to the threads and they appear to be identical for me, but the "octo" does breathe harder, even on the same setting. Maybe that's because I've mainly only used the black one during dives
The snowflake would be for cold water,( came with a lipguard too) maybe this second stage was sold for cold water and breath harder for cracking effort ajustement set a little bit higher.

That's all great to know - so if I wanted to have the octo adjusted to breath the same (say I wanted to make it primary), I'd just have to ask a service tech to adjust it?

yes, they are exactly the same , just the color, yellow for "octo", black for primary.
(my 2 Titan LX are black, last version came in blue i think)

Back
Top Bottom