Impact on Regulator: Swapping out the SPG & HP hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Neal Yang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Not sure if this belongs in the Regulator or Instruments forum, but here's my situation:

I recently purchased the Apeks XTX50 regulator and have yet to get it wet. Due to a misunderstanding, I did not get a HP hose shipped to me with my order. However, the shop was kind enough to ship one over anyway at no cost to me.

The thing is, I have a dive trip coming in less than a week and so I need to complete my setup before the HP hose has a chance to arrive.

I have been asking around and have been told that if I rent just an SPG for this trip, and replace it with my personal one when my HP hose comes, I will have to send the brand new regulator for servicing after I replace the rented SPG with my personal one.

My question is: Does this make sense? Does swapping out the SPG and HP hose from the HP port impact the way the regulator works? From my limited understanding of how these things work, it should have no impact...

So, if you need a new hose in the future, you need to send it for service...No way
I changes hoses all the time. Stage setup, single tank, doubles...

Does not make sense at all. You can change hoses as much as you want. Still probably better to have someone show you how to do it without damaging o-rings etc. Any dive shop, DM, or a more experienced buddy can do that.
If you already have the SPG, I would just buy a new HP hose before your trip and keep the other one as spare. HP hoses cost around $20-30€... Then you also need a swivel in between your SPG and the HP hose.

Oh my god buddy I'm changing my dive centre regs around all the time from doubles to single to stage to sidemount. Just undo and redo the hose. Then test on a tank to ensure no leak. simple task.

Thanks guys. Figured it was nonsense. I will end up buying a HP hose from the LDS before the trip anyway. Would give me an opportunity to test out the set before I get it wet.

Make sure you are careful and lube both sides of the tiny spool orings on your SPG before you connect to the hp hose. Silicone lube will work, but a small tube of christolube or tribolube is a good thing to keep in your dive kit anyway.

You might not even notice your SPG spool has two sides, with two orings. Just carefully pull out the little metal spool (from the SPG) and get both sides lubed up. If your SPG is not new, replace either the entire spool, or both of the tiny orings.

*this is often overlooked, and I have just noticed a lot of people lately having leaks from this area.

there is absolutely no reason at all you can't swap hoses around as you like. The one bit of knowledge you need is how to properly install the hose. It's not hard.
Start the hose by hand and turn it by hand until it stops, this will be a number of turns. The threads are brass so you can damage them if you don't get them straight, there should be very little resistance when you screw in the hose until the oring meets the reg body.
Once the hose is completely threaded on, with a wrench SNUG the fitting. The oring does all the sealing and does not require torque on the fitting to work. The idea here is to tighten the fitting just enough so it will not come loose but no more. If the connection leaks, there is an issue with the oring, not how tight it is. DO NOT try to stop a leak by tightening the connection more

Start the hose by hand and turn it by hand until it stops, this will be a number of turns. The threads are brass so you can damage them it you don't get them straight, there should be very little resistance when you screw in the hose until the oring meets the reg body.

Herman is an expert and doesn’t need my validation but I agree completely. Changing hoses is crazy simple, with a modicum of attention. In my experience, getting the threads on a hose to bite correctly can be a challenge at times. Usually involving the first stage end of the hose. This is generally because hoses are bent and gravity pulls on the off center hose to make the fitting wobble around. Take a bit of time. Start it by hand. Be patient. Putting a wrench on the fitting too soon is a good way to cross the threads. Start it by hand and there is nothing to fear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom