Clive Cussler ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There were a few that involved diving, but not that many. And of the non-fiction works that do, there is only usually one scene or so with any diving.

More of the books in the Fargo series seem to involve some amount of diving.

Fun books for quick reads, but I have to agree with Dr Bill that they are quite formulaic. Once you have read four or five, they can become a bit predictable. Predictable or not, I've still read close to 60 them (58 at last count).

The Sea Hunters books are definitely more geared to diving/divers.

All novels seem to be formulaic, but not nearly as bad as my Chemistry texts. Sheesh! :D

All novels seem to be formulaic, but not nearly as bad as my Chemistry texts. Sheesh! :D
True. After a few novels, which I read religiously at first, I felt I was buying the same story with a different cover. good action adventure fiction, short on scuba. I stopped reading them when one of his books had a sailor looking through a telescope 100+ years before the device was invented. It was then that I concluded that he abandoned the historic precision he so highly prized and became a franchise.

Unless they produced only three or four novels, I can count on one hand the authors that I have read all their books. CS Lewis, A Rowling, J Tolkien, AD Foster. I've read a lot of C Cussler, B Bova, M Connelly (love Bosch), R Heinlein, F Herbert, D Adams, and quite a few more who I can't remember right now. I love reading and really, really love my Kindle.

You mean Atlantis, Genghis Khan, and the Titanic were never really found !!!!

@tbone1004

OK Hombre, here you are ...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A little bit of information about good ole Clive …

After service in USAF Clive had been employed in the advertising world in LA. He wanted to explore the emerging interest in the underwater world and improve his writing skills so he obtained a clerk's position the Aquatic Center (AC) # 2 located on Harbor Blvd in Sana Ana California (Not
Newport Beach store as reported by @drbill) (record history but record it correctly) Clive
enrolled in writing classes at Orange Coast College in Costa Mesa California, where he received an AA in journalism and became the college most famous ex student .

Clive had done some free diving while in the service in Hawaii but wanted to expand his knowledge and abilities into the underwater world via diving SCUBA lessons. So Clive was enrolled in the Aquatic Center dive classes, which he successfully completed.

The late Ron Merker ( Yes ! @drbill basic instructor) and I often team taught the AC classes . After Clive completed the course Ron issued him an LA Co basic card and since Ron was not yet a NAUI instructor (He later became NAUI # A 87 (?) I Issued him a NAUI basic card.-- PADI etc was in the future about decade or more away at that time

Over the ensuing years we all had became friends and diving companions . We individually and collectively never ever dreamed that Clive would publish a book- but he did ! Ice Berg ! Then the Med Caper and finally his break through novel Raise the Titanic,

It was in the Titanic that he began including his friends and detractors in his books-- In Titanic there is a character Sam Merker - Of course from Sam Miller & Ron Merker = Sam Merker. . In most of his later books we could ID each other, by partial name or mannerisms.

It was after the publication of Titanic that Clive broke away and became a full time researcher and author. When he departed the AC the owners Ron, Al And Dick presented Clive with his highly prized and certainly highly advertised orange faced DOXA watch. The orange faced DOXA was THE WATCH of the serious diver of Orange county -Tommy Thompson., LA CO UW Instructor and PR for U S Divers (aka Aqua Lung) made all LA CO UW OC based instructors "Offers they couldn't refuse " to purchase a orange faced DOXA watch -- which I still wear

I personally can ID myself in about a dozen of his early books..lots of Sams and by my mannerisms, Sam Quade. Sam Mittler, Sam etc etc

Clive and I have remained friends and in periodic contact all these good and great years - Clive inscribed most of his books to me with very personal messages and phrases which as a diving bibliophile I treasure very highly.

When son Dr, Sam IV received his SSI Pro 5000 (Over 5000 logged dives) about ten years ago Clive and Dirk inscribed their latest book to him- which I presented to him at the Pro 5000 ceremonies Certainly another family heirloom to be treasured and to be passed on from one generation to the next

Clive's wife of over 50 years passed away several years ago which was his inspiration and strength. He is now 87 living in Arizona and not in the greatest of heath.

Just a little about Clive...Now you know

Sam Miller, 111
LA Co UW Instructor # 11 UICC
NAUI Instructor # A27
PADI etc etc

@drbill .

I heard he wasnt doing all that well. Maybe explains why some of his series has slowed down. I do enjoy the Isaac Bell novels more than the others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom