Scuba diver found face down in the water at Crescent Bay Beach, unresponsive during rescue efforts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Scuba diver found face down in the water at Crescent Bay Beach, unresponsive during rescue efforts
On Friday, Sept 14, at 8:04 a.m., LB Lifeguards received a 911 call about a single scuba diver face down in the water at Crescent Bay Beach. The patrol unit was on scene in three minutes at 8:07 a.m., according to LB Marine Safety Capt Kai Bond.
“A single scuba diver was pulled out by a good Samaritan, an adult male with scuba equipment. Lifeguards performed CPR on scene at Crescent Bay Beach, but he was unresponsive,” Capt Bond said.
The adult male was then taken to Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo by paramedics. His condition is unknown.
The surf has been rough and there have been a number of drowning events in the last couple of weeks. Capt Bond said the surf conditions have been pretty significant with 3 to 5 feet swells and yellow flag conditions.
Important safety tips for people who want to go out into the ocean: learn to swim; swim by an open lifeguard tower; swim with a buddy; always check with the tower lifeguard to get up-to-date conditions; learn about rip current safety; and always go into the water feet first, Capt Bond said.
For this past weekend, on Saturday, Sept 15 and Sunday, Sept 16, there were 274 rescues, 42 medical aids, 4,454 public contacts, and 2,425 prevents.
This summer, from June 23 to Labor Day, Marine Safety had 5,265 rescues, made 323,861 public contacts, and prevented 166,558 beachgoers.

Lifeguards performed CPR on scene at Crescent Bay Beach, but he was unresponsive,” Capt Bond said.
The adult male was then taken to Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo by paramedics. His condition is unknown.
I'm confused. Did they revive him? The first sentence makes it sound like a fatality. The third makes it sound otherwise.

Thanks Phil,
Can't find anything in local papers...which kinda annoys me like others who read this board we are interested in local happenings especially when I know hundreds of divers who dive crescent.

He wouldn't have been transported if he was dead on scene.

I am pretty sure that only a doctor can certify a victim as deceased. Consequently victims are taken to the hospital even if unresponsive for possible revival or certification as deceased.

I found this on Twitter

Christy Cones‏ @ChristyCones Sep 14
  1. Here is the spot where he was on his back and they were doing CPR. You can see the sand flattened where they put his backpack. Is this art? All that’s left of his day at the beach. So so sad. I hope he had a good dive. #lagunabeach #diving #scubadiving #beach #accident #emt

DnEQMVGUwAEnjZw.jpg

1 reply1 retweet3 likes

2. 4c56GliM_bigger.jpg
    Here they are carrying him away on stretcher. So sad to see. Be safe Mother Nature can be cruel. #lagunabeach

https://twitter.com/i/status/1040625572332724224
    0:09
    1 reply0 retweets1 like

3. 4c56GliM_bigger.jpg
    Breaking #Christyleaks a lone diver washes up ashore in #lagunabeach looks like it was guy diving alone. I happened to walk in on it while EMT arrived. Thanks EMT. You guys rule! #lagunabeach #diver #scuba #crescentbay

https://twitter.com/i/status/1040625153766379520

I am pretty sure that only a doctor can certify a victim as deceased. Consequently victims are taken to the hospital even if unresponsive for possible revival or certification as deceased.
That's the common procedure I think. A Justice of the Peace can fill that official role in Texas at least. When Supreme Court Justice Scalia died out in the wilds of the Big Bend area of Texas a couple of years ago on a hunting trip, 20 miles north of the Rio Grande & Presidio Texas (population 4,426), 30 miles south of Marfa TX (population 1,981), I think the news then said that a death certificate was required before he could be flown back to DC - and a JP declared death based on information from law officers. Google maps claims that there are doctors in both towns, but those may be traveling docs.

This helped fuel a lot of conspiracy theories, along with why was a 79 year old man who "had a history of heart trouble, including high blood pressure, and had recently been deemed too weak to undergo surgery for a torn rotator cuff" had traveled to such a remote location. o_O

That's the common procedure I think.

In NJ an EMT, paramedic, or investigator for county medical examiner's office to make determination and pronouncement of death under certain circumstances. You do not need a doctor if there is no reason to believe there is any reason to suspect the death to be anything other than an accident. aka - Car accidents - Dr's do not come out to the accident - the Medics will attach an EKG and pronounce on the scene. FD will continue to cut the victim out and the ME will haul them away. No hospital needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom