Which split fin to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All I can say is that I've been very happy with my Apollo Bio-Fins for the last 15 years or so. However, when I travel, I take my ancient US Divers Blades (non-split) since they are lighter and do well in currents.

All I can say is that I've been very happy with my Apollo Bio-Fins for the last 15 years or so. However, when I travel, I take my ancient US Divers Blades (non-split) since they are lighter and do well in currents.
Heard good things about apollo. Are they wide foot pocket. I need wide I'm US10 WIDE

I wear a size 13 and my Apollo Bio-Fin Pros are awesome. I lucked into buying them on clearance for $100 at a dive shop in Florida when I lost a fin on the boat, and didn't realize until I was using (and later reading reviews on) them just how great they are. I wouldn't trade them for anything. That being said, they're natural rubber, so they're heavy on the surface.

You are getting into Fins Class 101 territory. You are going to have to try on both your boots and fins so your local lds' and not the internet are your friends.

First, I would find the best fitting boots for your feet. The goal is to find a pair that you would be comfortable walking a mile in.

Once you have your boots, then look for a pair of fins that fit. I tried Scubapro, Atomic, ... fins before I settled on Tusa. Only saying that the Tusa X-pert Zoom fit the combination of my foot and boots the best.

Already mentioned, spring straps are a big improvement over standard fin straps.

What's the difference between
TUSA X-Pert Zoom Z3 and the one without the z3(older model)?

What does z3 signify?
Thx

What's the difference between
TUSA X-Pert Zoom Z3 and the one without the z3(older model)?

What does z3 signify?
Thx
I think the Z3 is stiffer. I sure like my Tusa X-pert Zooms, regular and Z3

There are. Most fins size difference is only how wide the foot pocket is, how long the foot is don't matter.

I have very wide feet, no problem, just take one size bigger, and tighten the heel strap.

I beg to differ. What works for one person does not always work for others. I find that the length of the foot pocket makes a huge difference on how the fin feels on my feet. I have tried Scubapro Jet fins and I could not wait to get them off fast enough. It felt like I was kicking with my toes, no matter what kick I tried to use. I like a fin that has a deep tall foot pocket with an extended section to support the heel of my foot. I would one day love to try a set of force fins as I'm really intrigued by the design of the foot pocket. Plus Jonathan Bird swears by force fins, so that has to account for something.

From original post: compatible with booties AND bare feet? I think it is a pretty reliable rule of thumb that a fin will not comfortably fit you both ways.

Also, they may be out there, but I have not run across a scuba split fin intended for bare foot.
Aqualung’s Deepsee Aquaglide was a barefoot snorkel fin, but they transitioned away from a split design. (I have one split left in both sizes if anyone really, really wants one)

Wide feet? Yeah, you really have try it on. The Aeris Velocity X3 were a slight modification of a split fin design, still paying royalties to Nature’s Wing for the patent. I found those annoyingly wide in the foot pocket making it hard to fit - but might be just what’s needed for a wide foot. Again, I have a couple left if interested. Maybe one in each size, if I recall correctly. No, I don’t know any wide fit boots, and it starts there, right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom