Drift diving is NOT so relaxing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done most of my diving between Key Largo and Jupiter in South Florida, and enjoy both the wreck diving and drift diving. When the currents are strong, however, I'd rather be on drift dive than wreck dive any day. Pulling yourself down the line to the wreck can be a pain and when hanging on the line at the safety stop you're being blown horizontally. While on the wreck, you're fighting the current (and using more air) while trying to explore around. Sometimes, the current is so strong you just have to hang onto the wreck until it's time to go up, which I hate to do 'cause the wrecks are covered with growth. It's still a fun dive, but drifting with the current on those days is better for me.

I'm a newbie but had a blast in a current off Cozumel (Paradise Reef I believe). Maybe all 3 conditions were in the same direction - I wasn't paying attention. But the crew that dropped and picked up the divers was amazing. Although I wasn't trying to take pics - just go with the current and enjoy the view.

If I recall, that’s the zoom zoom racing current drift dive. Screw photos, just go. Awesome fun. Did it first time a few weeks ago. Where was that dive back in my 40s or 50s?! First time in Coz that a boat would go there and not some puppy drift dive near shore.

Back
Top Bottom