Month-long Florida Coast and Keys Trip Preparation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certainmisuse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello All,

It's been a while since posting, probably 10 years (on a new account, so don't bother looking back). Anyway, for my 40th birthday (still a few years away), I'm planning to go big: traversing the entire coast of FL and the Keys, to snorkel and do shallow shore diving throughout. I have started a google map with many locations already determined, most of them from state parks, some with camping. My question is really for those with knowledge on snorkeling and diving FL from the shore: am I missing any major FL snorkeling sites or shore dives that are approximately less than 40'? Below are some of the well-known areas on my current list. Thanks so much!

Gulf: Destin jetties, St. Andrews jetties, Gulf Shore jetties (I know, it's AL)
West Coast: Turtle Beach, Delnor-Wiggins Park, Gasparilla Island Park
East Coast: Blue Heron bridge, Lauderdale by the Sea, Riveria Beach, Ft. Pierce Inlet Park, Sebastian Inlet
Keys: John Pennekamp Park, Indian Key Park, Bahia Honda Park, Fort Zachary Taylor

Fun note: I was at St. Andrews two weeks ago, on the precise day that Red Tide levels increased dramatically. Dead fish everywhere, and the visit ended up being a bust. That disappointment helped provide the motivation here.

Kind Regards,
David

When in Key West, plan to take the ferry to the Dry Tortugas. The south coaling dock is the best snorkeling in Florida. The remains of the phosphate pier in Boca Grande pass ain't too shabby either. If there is anything left of it.

You could check out some site in the Vero/Ft PIerce area. Here is a guide for them http://www.deepsixintl.com/PDF/BeachDiveGuide.pdf they can be fun dives. I did some of them years ago snorkeling/freediving and had a blast. Vis Varys day to day and usually is only 5-15’ but plenty of life and big fish. Also check closer to your trip because sites can change year to year with the movement of sand in the area aswell.

I did a bunch of beach dives in Vero Beach year ago. Worth it if the seas are calm.

Also add into your list the following:
A bridge beach dive in S. Jupiter Island.
A beach dive in Stuart Florida called Bathtub beach.

And also don't forget this site which is real nice.

When in Key West, plan to take the ferry to the Dry Tortugas. The south coaling dock is the best snorkeling in Florida. The remains of the phosphate pier in Boca Grande pass ain't too shabby either. If there is anything left of it.
My youngest was able to work out there for a week this summer as a service project helping to clean it back up. They were allowed to snorkel some during free time. He said that it was amazing. And challenging. If you care about the reef, he said that it takes some situational awareness. But so worth it.

My youngest was able to work out there for a week this summer as a service project helping to clean it back up. They were allowed to snorkel some during free time. He said that it was amazing. And challenging. If you care about the reef, he said that it takes some situational awareness. But so worth it.
Sweet. I know that project, and who ran it.

If you're interested primarily in snorkeling, Peanut Island in WPB is also fun. You can take the water taxi and dive from the east side of the island along the break water. Its not world class but fun enough.... Lots of tropical fish, a few eels and occasionally a sting ray. Its not quite as tide dependent as Blue Heron Bridge but is not good on an outgoing tide.

If you don't mind walking a long dustace, the snorkeling off the Breakers Hotel is decent, again not world class but fun enough. You park at the public beach and walk about a mile north on the shore.

If you want to plan a beach day for your family but still fit in a quick snorkel, MacArthur State Park is OK. I've seen nurse sharks and small schools of tropicals. Its the least interesting of the group I've mentioned but still fun enough

If you are a really good swimmer, you can also Beach dive or snorkel in Pompano near the Copenhagen wreck. But it's a pretty long surface swim

If you like freshwater sites, there's also a number of places such as Devil's Den and the Rainbow River.

Fun note: I was at St. Andrews two weeks ago, on the precise day that Red Tide levels increased dramatically. Dead fish everywhere, and the visit ended up being a bust.

Nothing says fun like dead fish everywhere.

In Ft Pierce Pepper Park (check out UDT/SEAL museum as well) and the wreck site of the Orca De Lima off Pepper...very shallow dive site maybe 15 feet or a nice snorkel.

Just south of there is Bathtub beach in Jensen another fine site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom