Pre diabetic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pre-diabetes in and of itself shouldn't present a problem for diving. I'd be more concerned about underlying health issues. May I ask why you had a kidney removed?

Best regards,
DDM

Pre-diabetes in and of itself shouldn't present a problem for diving. I'd be more concerned about underlying health issues. May I ask why you had a kidney removed?

Best regards,
DDM
Just trying to clarify here are you saying if you are diabetic you can't dive?

Just trying to clarify here are you saying if you are diabetic you can't dive?

The PADI medical questionnaire brings up diabetes twice and requires a doctors clearance if it is checked "yes".

The PADI medical questionnaire brings up diabetes twice and requires a doctors clearance if it is checked "yes".
That still doesn't mean if your diagnosed with diabetes you can't dive its a big misconception IMO that you can't, I'm just trying to clarify what Duke dive is saying, I have type II and have been diving for 25 years with it.

That still doesn't mean if your diagnosed with diabetes you can't dive its a big misconception IMO that you can't, I'm just trying to clarify what Duke dive is saying, I have type II and have been diving for 25 years with it.

Correct, but it does require a doctor's note to relieve the dive operator of liability in case of injury. Are you checking "yes" and not providing a doctor's approval?

Correct, but it does require a doctor's note to relieve the dive operator of liability in case of injury. Are you checking "yes" and not providing a doctor's approval?

1. We’re not talking about Diabetes in this thread. The OP is pre-diabetic.
2. @ScubaJCBS only needs a doctor’s note if he wants to take a course. He can dive without filling in a RSTC form. What are you talking about?

Best regards,
DDM
Yes no problem. I have/ had renal cancer and am in remission I think. Not sure as the last scan I had suggested that I had nothing to worry about at the moment ( the moment bit is slightly worrying) but I'm still loosing weight at the rate of about 1.5kg of a month so I'm not so sure. Diving keeps me busy at the moment and my mind occupied so if would be a real kick in the nuts to have to give it up. My diet is good and I get plenty of exercise but I have smoked in the past . Thanks for the reply.

I understand that you may dive if your diabetes is under control but I wasn't sure with regards to pre . I don't feel like I'm going to black out and die but this is all new to me. I have never been ill up until this year and hadn't seen a doctor since I was 13 ( I am now 47). It's good to know that others are managing their ailments and continuing to dive and I find the replies encouraging. Thank you.

This is relevant as I have my rescue course this week with the qualifying dives at the weekend and I have mentioned that I may be pre to my LDS . I had signed the medical questionnaire before I was given the bad news so I am going to speak to them today and make sure it's still okay with them as I would not want to put them in an awkward position. Thanks for your reply.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom