Missed deco stop, lock out?

If you miss a deco stop and surface, will your dive computer lock you out?

• I don't know

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 53 36.8%
  • No, if no, please list the brand, and model, if relevant, below

Votes: 84 58.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whether or not your computer is locking you out after missing DECO obligations is the least of your worries...
Being locked out is a warning...and this warning is telling you that you made a life threatening mistake...and that your prospective dives for the remainder of the day are done!!!
Most of the computers being mentioned are strictly for recreational diving...with generous safety factors built in...if you've blown a stop and the computer has locked you out...it's certainly not because all is right with the world...
That's why the computer is locking you out for a minimum of 24 hours...some will lock you out for 48 hours...
Suggest your next piece of dive gear is a comprehensive book on decompression sickness...
Safe Diving...Warren

There could probably be more information about DCIs in the OW courses.

But I would like to suggest the following book for 100 % of the divers in the world, novice, beginner, or otherwise:

Deco for Divers: A Diver's Guide to Decompression Theory and Physiology, by Mark Powell

https://www.amazon.ca/Deco-Divers-D...id=1537733338&sr=1-1&keywords=deco+for+divers

After reading this book, a person should be able to better understand why his/her computer has imposed a lockdown, and the other computer not.

(BTW, if anyone knows of an even better book on this topic, please let me know.)

I bent a suunto vyper like a pretzel in Scapa Flow last year on dive 2. I wanted to see how quickly I could bend it...
What do you mean when you say bend it?

The Suunto computers always lock you out. It is absolutely inferiorating. On a dive where I got vertigo, I did a safety stop then ascended slightly too fast after 5m and it locked me out for a while. The last thing you want if something actually did happen, is an annoying beeping computer.

That to me is criminal.

I was only using it as a BT as I would a) never use a vyper for deco. It's not what they are for. b) I was diving a LQ Xeo as a primary, with the Vyper and tables as a back-up. I was just curious as to how it would behave and how quickly I could send it into error mode where it would only act as a bottom timer and depth gauge (which is what I was using it for anyway). It took 2 dives.

That to me is criminal.
If it is the backup computer that cant handle deco so you are using it as a bottom timer
I was only using it as a BT as I would a) never use a vyper for deco. It's not what they are for. b) I was diving a LQ Xeo as a primary, with the Vyper and tables as a back-up. I was just curious as to how it would behave and how quickly I could send it into error mode where it would only act as a bottom timer and depth gauge (which is what I was using it for anyway). It took 2 dives.

My oceanic normally screams at me during the first dive and dies turning itself into a depth/time mode. I cannot turn this on by default so getting it bent is the only way. Ps the ocianic is a 3rd computer that lives in my pocket

No harm or offence directed at you. I’m saying it’s criminal for the computer to lock up completely.

No harm or offence directed at you. I’m saying it’s criminal for the computer to lock up completely.
It will lock up when you surface not during the dive

Oceanic VT 4.0/4.1 - Yes, it locks out for 24hrs after you've surfaced and becomes a digital instrument without any decompression or oxygen related calculations or displays. Never tested it and for the time being don't plan to. But have read enough that if a deco obligation happens, I understand what it's telling me during the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom