Need advice for Roatan trip, Spring 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I checked out West End Divers. Looks like a good op. They offer stay and dive packages for $500 per person.

Sounds inviting.

Apples to apples time.

So, 10 dives and a bed for $500 at West End Divers. Do some math.

If I want my 27 dives (like CCV), that adds $455 (plus another $240 for night dives), that comes out to $695 + $500 = $1195. That would be $205 cheaper than CCV but no food included.

(If you did dive that much) WED would indeed save you $30 per day, but if you're banging out an equivalent 5x dives a day, how are you going to cook or go to restaurants?

Not everyone "needs" more than 10 dives in a week. Just be aware of the math.

My bad. I thought the OP wanted info on shore diving access in Roatan. But now he can consider Bonaire instead. Or oranges.

Thanks for the info. I should add that, while I have have an Advanced Open Water certification, my my wife is a newbie with her Open Water. She has never dived salt water before, so we will need to go with an op that has dives designed for someone like her.

Our focus is on Roatan because my wife is from Honduras and her family is there.

Hey, guys,
My wife and I want to dive Roatan in April or May, 2019. We need advice on good, economical places to staay and dive. We don't want to go too cheap, but money is a bit tight. We would like to do some shore dives and a couple boat dives, too. We've heard that tank rentals are difficult to get.

We would appreciate any advice you might be able to offer.

Thanks.

See this information about the Two for One offer at AKR:

Anthony Key's Buy One Get One Free 2019 Details - No Single Supplement

As a lot of people have said it comes down to how much diving you want to do. If you plan to do 10 or fewer dives, going a la carte and choosing a hotel and then dive shop separately is a good idea. If you want more than 10 dives an AI is the best route.

Next question, location on the island. If you enjoy eating out and trying different restaurants, then West End or West Bay is what you want. West End is certainly going to be the cheaper of those two options. Both in terms of hotel prices and food prices. West Bay beach is stunning, but if you don't plan to spend much time lying on the beach, it's not worth the extra cost over West End.

Note I said booking hotel and dives separately. Go onto AirBnB and booking.com Find a good value West End Hotel that suits your needs and budget. Then pick your dive shop, you may even want to do that when you get to Roatan. Walk around chat to a few people at a few shops make your decision then. I bet you'll choose Coconut Tree Divers in the end :)

You will rarely save money booking accommodation and dives together.

Reactions: Doc
Splash Inn Dive Resort, in heart of West End Village is my go to place for visits to Roatan, they offer 7 night 15 dive packages for great prices

Have not been yet but we’re booked at Media Luna the last week of April. They have various dive pkgs available and most offer unlimited shore diving on their house reef during shop hours. Looked at CCV but we got a deal at this one and I can take my non diving spouse for roughly the same price as going to CCV by myself.

Reactions: JAF
We stayed at the Media Luna a couple years ago and it was great. Could do 2 boat dives a day for about $50 and unlimited shore diving. They also offer night dives and a shark dive. They have lots of gear and storage for it. Once you get equipped, that gear is yours for the week.

Have not been yet but we’re booked at Media Luna the last week of April. They have various dive pkgs available and most offer unlimited shore diving on their house reef during shop hours. Looked at CCV but we got a deal at this one and I can take my non diving spouse for roughly the same price as going to CCV by myself.

Media Luna is a great place to go with a non diving spouse. We were there last year. Enjoy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom