Clive Cussler ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never liked the fact that he has inserted himself as a character into his books.

@tbone1004

[Cussler] obtained a clerk's position the Aquatic Center (AC) # 2 located on Harbor Blvd in Sana Ana California (NotNewport Beach store as reported by @drbill) (record history but record it correctly)

The late Ron Merker ( Yes ! @drbill basic instructor) and I often team taught the AC classes . After Clive completed the course Ron issued him an LA Co basic card and since Ron was not yet a NAUI instructor (He later became NAUI # A 87 (?) I Issued him a NAUI basic card.-- PADI etc was in the future about decade or more away at that time

I must have mis-read or misinterpreted what you said earlier about Cussler working at the Aquatic Center, Sam. Thanks for the correction.

Was Cussler's training done through the Santa Ana or the Newport Beach store?

@drbill

Clive was only associated with the Santa Ana Store-- Dick Spencer was the only manager of the store, until it closed and Dick passed way

I am possibly one of the few who can state "I had my SCUBA tanks filled by Clive Cussler"

We had so much fun when he was at the store-- As you recognize Ron and I have the same caustic attitude regarding diving that can be turned on or off --Ron and I used that attitude to give Clive all sorts of grief as the next F. Scott Fitzgerald of the UW world-- Little did we realized his potential

Hope all is well with you...Hang in there ! -- you are our Doc Ricketts for the SCUBA Board

Sam

I tried a couple of Cussler books a number of years back. I was not satisfied with the paucity of the dive scenes nor quality thereof. The writing was a bit weak to me too.

I prefer Harlan Corbin though there's not just a paucity of dive scenes, there are none. Similar genre though.

Hi:
I've been reading Clive Cussler's The Mediterranean Caper. Is this typical of the novels? So far (I'm in Chpt 10) and there is no diving action. I know this was an early work by Mr. Cussler.

Pacific Vortex was the first Dirk Pitt novel I read by Clive Cussler and another that most don't like, but I did, including the cover art of the paperback version where there was a porthole that opened to display a diving scene. It's not really one you read that fits the mold of what many consider to be the Clive Cussler novels. His stuff kept getting better and better and I became a huge fan. There was a point in some of the later novels, and those he had co-written, where the quality or passion seemed to drop off. I think he was writing just for the fans, but some of his other novels that featured different characters at that this time were engaging and fresh. Try reading something like Sahara (made it into a movie) or Night Probe! where he starts finding his craft and it takes place in our beloved St. Lawrence River.

I remember Raise the Titanic, it was a summer read on my parent’s boat when I was in my teens. His later stuff became pretty formulaic. I did enjoy his nonfiction books. One (or both) were dedicated to ship wrecks he had helped find. One ship he found was the CNS Hunley, which was the first submarine to sink an enemy ship in war time. Overall I enjoyedthem

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom