LDS serviced HOG regs with "wrong" kits need advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dave22387

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So I was going out of town and I don't have a bench so I was unable to service my HOG regs on my own. I asked my trusted LDS if they could service HOGS since they sell dive rite and APEKS and they said yes and that they could get the kits no problem. Long story short, I picked them up and tested them and everything seemed great but then I saw on the receipt that they used Dive Rite kits... Now I know they are very similiar but I wanted to check if anyone has concrete knowledge that this is OK... Are the orings etc. exactly the same size and specs or just close. I didn't want to throw a fit because I like and trust my shop but I also want to ensure I have a 100% reg. Let me know your opinions please. Thanks guys!

Contact

Jack Schmidt
Operations Manager
EDGE/HOG Diving Equipment
1-888-810-4811 Ext. 104
edgediving.operations@gmail.com

I sent them an email, I assume they're gonna tell me it is not OK in the interest of liability though. Thanks for the info!

I live in Europe and there’s no one who would service my regs here. I contacted Jack and then shipped them to him in Atlanta when I visited the US in May. They were serviced and shipped back to my US mailing address within two days.

Contact the shop and ask them what kits they used. Perhaps they used Hogs kits but as they were not a stock item they used the inventory listing for "Dive Rite" kits.

I did ask, they used dive rite

Your hog regs are not a proprietary design...many manufacturers have clones of those regs. The parts kits are identical.....because functionally, they are the same reg

Your hog regs are not a proprietary design...many manufacturers have clones of those regs. The parts kits are identical.....because functionally, they are the same reg

I know they aren't proprietary but are the kits exactly the same? Same specs etc. The regs are actually not made by the same company as far as I know. I know many companies use the same exact reg design from Taiwan or wherever. I assume it's fine just wanted concrete confirmation from someone who has done it. Thanks for the input. Would you feel comfortable in this situation? Again, I'm sure it's fine just wanna confirm they're not just extremely similuar but exact...

Yeah... if the oring fits...use it.

I have used Dive Rite kits in HOG regs, and Dive Rite kits in Apeks regs, and Dive Rite kits in Beauchat regs...

I think I have also used HOG kits in a Dive Rite reg.

I think DR and HOG will each tell you they use a different proprietary material on the HP seat, but I have not had any issues so far. I use those regs well outside of recreational limits and have never had any issues.

Now, if I was running a shop, I would probably tell customers it would take another few days and order the kit from the same brand...but for my personal use, they seem to each meet enough specs to fit into the other brands just fine, and I will keep mixing and matching with what I have on hand.

Back
Top Bottom