Diver Training, Has It Really Been Watered Down???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One post notes that the biggest agency’s standards have 14 more skills (net) since 1995. But I think that when most suggest that training has been watered down, the comparison they are thinking of is of that agency prior to 1995 vs now. And never mind that there was an age reduction.

Standards don’t matter anyway. Agency culture is what matters, because it dictates how the standards are applied.

Standards don’t matter anyway. Agency culture is what matters, because it dictates how the standards are applied.

Just trying to make us feel better. Right? :wink:

Bob

In my experience training has been watered down but not in the sense of the number or type of skills but in the time spent on those skills and the level of skill that has to be demonstrated in order to be considered competent. When I first got certified demonstrating a skill once was not sufficient.

You hit this on the spot Tom! You also beat me to the punch on this. What you stated about time is the issue, not the watering down of courses. I've known several people who have gone through the BSAC or CMAS system and their skills were the same. The significant difference was the amount of time developing and mastering the skills. Sadly, today's theme is wham bam thank you ma'am, a student does the skill then moves on to the next one without actually repeating it for muscle or mental memory (mastery).

What is interesting is that training agencies (at least NAUI and PADI) clearly state mastery is the intended goal. This brings up the question, why then do so many instructors not take the time with students to develop mastery. A couple of the answers are economics and people simply don't want to take the time.

A couple of decades ago, UC Berkeley professor and former NAUI director Glen Egstrom studied buddy breathing. He determined that it took an average of 17 successful practice experiences before a buddy team could be fully expected to perform the skill in a real OOA situation. He further determined that the buddy team must practice regularly to maintain the skills..

John, do you have a copy or link of this study?

Years ago I worked with a former Navy SEAL who stated he and his buddy were taught to hold each other in a head lock position when practicing / conducting buddy breathing and were required to practice it extensively to avoid failure.

[/QUOTE] Regarding real OOA situations, I have never been involved with or witnessed one. Several instructors I assisted told classes that, to paraphrase-- "We teach you the proper way to do the OOA drill, but it has been my experience that the OOA diver usually just grabs for the first 2nd stage available, usually the one in your mouth". That's what they said anyway.[/QUOTE]

This is something I've always wondered about. Several of my former instructors told me this and I heard it a lot when I was a DM. As I stated above, I have had to donate numerous times and have witnessed a couple OOA situations. Not once did a person reach for second stage that was in a person's mouth. They either gave the out of air sign or reached for the octo. In several cases, extremely low on air while at depth, or reg failing - once a piece of pine apple was stuck in the diaphragm from the previous renter who puked in it and lots of free flow in cold water, that I dealt with the divers gave me erratic signs (one right after another) such as something wrong, out of air, thumbs up, just pointing to the reg in their mouth with gigantic eyes, or shove his/hers spg in my face due to . At that point I donated, my long hose (primary), of course. I think many people, instructors, tell this story to emphasize a point, which is questionable good teaching practices. I wonder how many of those people have actually witnessed this. Perhaps a couple, but less than what is perceived.

In one of the books that I had to read for tech training (Fatal Depth, Deep Decent, Last Dive - can't remember which one) the author wrote about one of the guys who had a pink alternate and was teased about it. One day a diver did run out of gas during a dive. Who did he go to - the person with the pink octo because of the consistent razzing which was engraved in his memory.

It is not to say a panic person will never try to take the one in the person's mouth. Perhaps a person who was trained in buddy breathing or maybe one who is very distressed may do this. It is most likely a person in on the verge of panic or in panic mode will most likely bolt.

Its how much you want to take out of the skills. Every dive since qualifing i have done an switch onto my necklaced secondary and donated my long hose before restowing and switching back. Takes 20 seconds. Every dive i work on trim and buoyancy (because it looks cool sitting on a safety stop in trim while everyone else is vertical or bobbing) more than 90% of my dives have had a dsmb deployment.
My open water gave me all the tools to dive and all the skills some people just decide that is enough and never train them more

You hit this on the spot Tom! You also beat me to the punch on this. What you stated about time is the issue, not the watering down of courses. I've known several people who have gone through the BSAC or CMAS system and their skills were the same. The significant difference was the amount of time developing and mastering the skills. Sadly, today's theme is wham bam thank you ma'am, a student does the skill then moves on to the next one without actually repeating it for muscle or mental memory (mastery).

What is interesting is that training agencies (at least NAUI and PADI) clearly state mastery is the intended goal. This brings up the question, why then do so many instructors not take the time with students to develop mastery. A couple of the answers are economics and people simply don't want to take the time.

Years ago I worked with a former Navy SEAL who stated he and his buddy were taught to hold each other in a head lock position when practicing / conducting buddy breathing and were required to practice it extensively to avoid failure.

Regarding real OOA situations, I have never been involved with or witnessed one. Several instructors I assisted told classes that, to paraphrase-- "We teach you the proper way to do the OOA drill, but it has been my experience that the OOA diver usually just grabs for the first 2nd stage available, usually the one in your mouth". That's what they said anyway.

This is something I've always wondered about. Several of my former instructors told me this and I heard it a lot when I was a DM. As I stated above, I have had to donate numerous times and have witnessed a couple OOA situations. Not once did a person reach for second stage that was in a person's mouth. They either gave the out of air sign or reached for the octo. In several cases, extremely low on air while at depth, or reg failing - once a piece of pine apple was stuck in the diaphragm from the previous renter who puked in it and lots of free flow in cold water, that I dealt with the divers gave me erratic signs (one right after another) such as something wrong, out of air, thumbs up, just pointing to the reg in their mouth with gigantic eyes, or shove his/hers spg in my face due to . At that point I donated, my long hose (primary), of course. I think many people, instructors, tell this story to emphasize a point, which is questionable good teaching practices. I wonder how many of those people have actually witnessed this. Perhaps a couple, but less than what is perceived.

In one of the books that I had to read for tech training (Fatal Depth, Deep Decent, Last Dive - can't remember which one) the author wrote about one of the guys who had a pink alternate and was teased about it. One day a diver did run out of gas during a dive. Who did he go to - the person with the pink octo because of the consistent razzing which was engraved in his memory.

It is not to say a panic person will never try to take the one in the person's mouth. Perhaps a person who was trained in buddy breathing or maybe one who is very distressed may do this. It is most likely a person in on the verge of panic or in panic mode will most likely bolt.
Research done by BSAC shows most OOA divers do what they were taught. There are no reported instances of the reg in mouth being taken. It’s a myth that’s often quoted on the Internet therefore it must be true.

Edward3c, I have no reason not to believe you, having had no personal OOA experiences. I am surprised that BSAC (or any agency) would actually have statistics from reports of exactly what happens in reported OOA instances. Am curious as to what % of the experiences you had were when the diver was actually completely OOA vs. free flow, low on air, etc.
It does make sense that a common thing for the panicked OOA diver may be to bolt instead of grabbing a mouthpiece.

Edward3c, I have no reason not to believe you, having had no personal OOA experiences. I am surprised that BSAC (or any agency) would actually have statistics from reports of exactly what happens in reported OOA instances. Am curious as to what % of the experiences you had were when the diver was actually completely OOA vs. free flow, low on air, etc.
It does make sense that a common thing for the panicked OOA diver may be to bolt instead of grabbing a mouthpiece.
BSAC publish annual incident reports, see the reports.

IMO. ( and note, this is just my opinion. Every teacher and class will be different just due to different instructors and class material they deem important. )

I DMC for a LDS, and they do still teach buddy breathing. We teach a few skills that are no longer "mandated" but that we think are still good skills to learn and understand.

That being said. Having spoken to people who went through it the old school way, the classes of today certainly seem underwhelming.

I do not believe we are teaching people to dive anymore. We are simply teaching them how to not die. The rest is up to them.

It may indeed be a myth these days but it predates the internet by a long way and may have been true back then because no-one had octos. It was certainly quoted in my ScotSAC training back in the day.

There are no reported instances of the reg in mouth being taken. It’s a myth that’s often quoted on the Internet therefore it must be true.

I don't have a copy. Here is the history of it being cited on ScubaBoard.

There was one prolific poster who kept citing Egstrom's study but saying it proved that you needed to do 17 successful repetitions of skills in general, and he kept citing it as a rationale for his belief that courses should be much, much, much longer than they are now. I thought that was BS, and I kept asking for the study. It was finally reproduced, and I saw that it was solely a study of buddy breathing--it did not say you had to do 17 partial mask clears in order to be able to do it well. I am sorry that I did not keep that study and cannot find it now.

Research done by BSAC shows most OOA divers do what they were taught. There are no reported instances of the reg in mouth being taken. It’s a myth that’s often quoted on the Internet therefore it must be true.
I have heard that before.

In the only case I was remotely near, the OOA diver went for her biddy's octo, without signalling. Everything went normally and calmly after that. I as then working in a shop with a out a dozen instructors, and I sent out a group email asking them about their direct knowledge of specific OOA incidents. In 100% of the cases, the OOA diver went directly for the octo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom