Used MK25 EVO / G260 set worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here are some additional pictures. I circled the areas where I think there may have been some corrosion. How bad does it look?

I'm now worried that if there is some corrosion on the outside, it's likely worse on the inside.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1823370214.jpeg_1537886111125.jpeg USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-1334290644.jpeg_1537886036321.jpeg USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--1104979075.jpeg_1537885966264.jpeg USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--825732629.jpeg_1537885860171.jpeg

Expect to pay around $150 for service on it.

Ouch! Is that the regular price of servicing these regs, or because you're suspecting that some extra work / additional parts will be needed?

An LDS quoted me less than $50 (converted from php) for reg service labor.

and that's why if you can get your hands on an IP gage, you can see whether it needs service or just a cleaning/tuning. If it truly has only 30 dives on it and wasn't totally abused (put away salty and wet), I'm wouldn't open it up to service it unless you really want the warm tummy feeling of having all new soft goods - assuming it passes visual, doesn't leak and breathes well. A rock steady IP and no leaks would be a reg set I would dive on. Keep monitoring the IP and until it starts to creep there shouldn't be any concerns - assuming hoses are good, no excessive corrosion, etc. IP gages are fairly cheap ($20ish) and give you great insight into most regulator issues. Most simply need a re-tune on the 2nd stage rather than a full rebuild. good luck with your purchase

Seems like an IP guage will be a good investment regardless of what reg I get. I'll get my hands on one for sure. Thanks!

@oly5050user quoted you a USD price in for service in the US. No idea what they charge in the Philippines. You should ask your LDS. You can learn how to do it yourself but SP parts kits are not easy to come by.

Ouch! Is that the regular price of servicing these regs, or because you're suspecting that some extra work / additional parts will be needed? An LDS quoted me less than $50 (converted from php) for reg service labor.

$150 for a full service is average for cost. Several years ago I shopped around to inquire about costs for servicing regs. Costs varied from $25 per stage to $45 per stage plus the parts. This, of course, is in the U.S.

Here are some additional pictures. I circled the areas where I think there may have been some corrosion. How bad does it look? I'm now worried that if there is some corrosion on the outside, it's likely worse on the inside.

The mineral build up on the reg isn't that bad. I've seen way worse before servicing. You are buying a used reg, expect to shuck out some money to have it serviced. It would be foolish to think otherwise. An IP gauge is not a bad idea, so long as you know what you are doing. It you don't, then there is no point in buying one. If possible, hook it up to a tank with some air and see what happens. If there are major issues they will appear. If the stress of buying a reg used is getting too high simply purchase a new regulator in the box.

@oly5050user quoted you a USD price in for service in the US. No idea what they charge in the Philippines. You should ask your LDS. You can learn how to do it yourself but SP parts kits are not easy to come by.

Will definitely work towards learning to service my own kit, in the meantime I'll need to rely on the LDS. I was told that it may be even harder to source for parts here because one shop holds exclusive rights for the SP parts. I'll reach out to them tomorrow for service quotes.

Corrosion looks very minor - but obviously the previous user wasn't very diligent about long fresh water soaks post-dive. Should clean up very easily though. AFA servicing yourself, SP kits are available worldwide but most shops won't sell them to you - eBay is your friend always. If it was me, pressurize the set and let it sit for a few minutes (5 would be great) and if the 2nd stage(s) doesn't start to self-relieve, your IP is probably ok. You won't know what the IP is or is doing without the gage but if it is creeping, it will be slow enough that it's not an immediate issue (ie - I'd dive it).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom