Special Dive Trip Palau vs French Polynesia vs Palau vs PNG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
After Raja Ampat and Socorro I am planning another big trip, either in March or August. I am considering one of the above places. The main focus is rather on big fish and colourful reefs than on critters.

French Polynesia is supposed to be great, particularly the Tuamotu Archipelago, but as an AOWD (over there), the depth limit is 30ms, and I worry about missing good places. I thought about a liveaboard.

Another option is Fiji, also for the soft corals. But people who returned there 2017 after a superb trip 2015 reported that soft corals were destroyed and that there was little fish left on their liveaboard trip.

Another option would be Palau, maybe Carp Island and a few days in Koror. But I guess it is very touristy.

Last option would be PNG, eg. Milne Bay. I read very good reports about that place, but I am not sure whether it is more of a muck diving destination than a big fish destination.

As all these places (particularly French Polynesia) are very expensive and very far from Europe, I would like to ask for advice from people who can compare these places and can comment on the state of the reefs and fish population in Fiji.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,

Liberty

I have not been to Palau or PNG, but have been to Fr. Polynesia twice, most recently in August, when I finally got to do a two tank dive at Fakarava. From my perspective, I would go to Fr. Polynesia in the future, and when there would likely dive, but I would not go to Fr. Polynesia or the Cook Islands to dive. For me diving in Fr. Polynesia, except for seeing a large school of Manta Rays, was not even close to the dive quality in the better known dive destinations in the Caribbean. I was also in the Red Sea in April, and the diving and snorkeling there were also far superior to Fr. Polynesia, and that is in your own back yard, so to speak. If you haven't been there for diving, I recommend you check it out.

I just returned from my first trip to the area on the Palau Agressor. The flight from and to NY was brutal but I plan on returning. Great boat, great crew, wonderful dive sites. We didn't see as many of the big critters as usual and were somewhat constrained by winds from the typhoon passing to the north, but I got in 39 dives in a great location.

Thank you for your replies.
@runsogas: I also thought about Tubbataha, but is it really good for big fish and coral?
@Altamira: Where were the good spots in the "backyard"? My trip to Marsa Alam in May was rather disappointing. I also did 3 trips to Sudan, but there were not many hammerheads last time und it is quite time-consuming to get there.

Best regards,
Liberty

Re: in your back yard.
We stayed at the Fort Arabesque Resort in Hurghada for a week, then stopped at Safaga for a day of diving. The reefs north and south of Hurghada, the house reef at Ft. Arabesque, and Gamul Kabir and Gamul Saroya at Safaga were very good to excellent diving and snorkeling for reef color, health, and small fish. Did not see any pelagics, so it that is what you are looking for on your next trip, where we were probably would not fit your trip goals. However, the worst I saw in the Red Sea was much better than the best I saw in Polynesia except for the Mantas and a large lemon shark. If you decide to go to Fr. Polynesia, you will likely be booked on Air France to Tahiti through LAX, but be aware that Air France does not actually fly to Tahiti every day as they code share with Air Tahiti Nui. I bring this up because the seats on Air Tahiti Nui's current fleet are the most uncomfortable seats of any airline I have used for long haul. They are scheduled to get new aircraft, but I think it is going to be a mixed bag for awhile. You are lucky to have been to Raja Ampat, and I hope to get there some day, but I suspect you are going to be disappointed with most dive locations after that.

Palau, every time!
(but I'm a bit of an addict....)
Check this out, from January this year:

However, I'd strongly advise against being land-based in Palau. Pick one of the good liveaboards with really good guides, and you can get loads of amazing dives. My favourites are Fish n' Fins/Ocean Hunter III (10 trips), but some of the others have good reviews too. If you're in Germany probably the best way to get there is Frankfurt-Taipei-Koror, at about 1200 euros with China Airlines (nice). As most of the dives are shallower than 25m, they will get you in the water up to 5 times a day if you want, including night dive. I've been telling myself that this makes it quite good value for money....

Red Sea - it's not really fair to compare, because it's different. For us north Europeans however, it's unbeatable value for money, if you do something like a Brothers-Daedalus-Elphinstone liveaboard. In winter there's apparently greater chance of seeing the odd hammerhead or two at Daedalus, but it's not the Galapagos. Personally, I don't feel at ease with the security situation there anyway.

Matt

As far as security in Egypt is concerned, people will have different impressions of safety. My wife and I spent 11 days in Egypt in April-May, traveling on our own, with time spent in Hurghada, Luxor, Cairo, and Safaga. At no time did we feel unsafe and found the Egyptian people to be friendly and helpful. I would not hesitate to return to those locations, but no doubt others will have different opinions.

Back
Top Bottom