Hooded Vest - How much more weight?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dougmatic

Registered
Reaction score
After some trial and error, I've dialed in the weight I need with a 7mm + hood & gloves - 26 lbs. Warmth-wise, this generally works okay in the summer/fall but I'm going to be trying some deeper dives coming up (e.g., wreck alley in San Diego down to 90-100 ft). Also, I do get chilly in the winter/fall. Therefore, I'm thinking about swapping out my hood with a 5/3mm hooded vest. How much weight additional weight do you fellow cold water divers need when adding a hooded vest under your wetsuits?

Personally deep dives I like to do with a dry suit because the neoprene compresses quite a bit, but that's not the answer you're looking for here. If it were me I would add no more than 6 lbs.

Often a hooded vest doesn't require any changes to my weighting. But if I am really close, takes a bit to get that last bubble out of the wing and maybe a little kick to start descending, add 2 pounds. If you are one of those OCD that thinks that you should absolutely dive without a single ounce more weight then you really need, you will need weight.

I know that southern California water. I try to make the road trip and get there a few times a year. After I went dry it got a lot better. Yes, the 7mm is warmer and simple. But you are still wet and will be cold soon enough. Yes, I have done what you are going through (anyone want to buy a Seac 7mm that only has a few dives on it?) Can't fault you for going that route. Just don't be stubborn when it comes to trying a drysuit. I didn't want to do it for a long time, but once I did I converted really quick.

I dive So cal and don't add anything when switching between good and hooded vest.

I often switch between a hood and a hooded-vest for diving here in So Cal.
I agree with broncobowsher and socaljohn. The weight change is usually minimal.
Zero or +2 lbs will do it.

The only exception is if your hooded-vest is off-the-shelf brand new.
That means it hasn't been crushed down from diving, and will be a little more buoyant.
In that case I'd play it safe and add 3 lbs just to be on the safe side for the first dive.
My hooded-vest is old and well crushed, so I'm only speculating here.

Include gear changes and weighting info in your logbook.
Eventually you'll build some pretty useful reference material.

Thread highjack for question. Is there a spot on the tool to switch between fresh and saltwater?
Nope. I didn't want to pretend to a degree of precision that we just don't have. Since most humans are between 2 and 3 cu. ft. of seawater in volume, the standard correction of 4 to 5 pounds seemed adequate.

Calcs:
Fresh water: 62.3 lb/cu ft at 70F
Sea water: about 2.7% more dense, depending upon salinity.

62.3 x 2.5 cu ft = 155.75 lb
155.75 x 0.027= 4.2 lb

Thanks all. I think I'll start with +2 lbs and see from there. And will look into getting a drysuit and learning how to use it for next season.

Back
Top Bottom