Update me on the battery rules!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had an unopened 8 pack of c size alkaline batteries confiscated a few years ago from my carry-on leaving Cozumel. They threw the package in their can. I even told them I would put them in my dive light but they wouldn't let me do that. Should have just gave them to the dive op I was using.
That's what I do with my unused alkaline batteries at the end of a Coz trip.

@kelemvor , Any idea the issue with the retail packaged batteries? I got an 8-pack of c-sized batteries jacked by security coming back from Coz last November???
I am honestly convinced they just wanted to steal them. I had a largeish pelican case with about 50 various batteries in it. All the batteries that weren't sealed in the manufacturers packaging were left alone. They took out the energizer lithiums that were in sealed in the energizer packaging and left the energizer lithium (identical batteries) that were in my individual ziplock bags.

I counted myself lucky they didn't take everything as the 15 or so 18650's would have been a lot more expensive to replace.

edit: as ggunn and others mentioned, after this year's trip I gave the maid all my unused disposable batteries -lithium or alkaline. I figured better for her to get them than the security guys who stole from me in 2015. I took my rechargables home, had no issues at the airport this time.

Just to complicate things further, I noticed in the fine print of my current United Airlines ticket this little gem. They now said " Effective July 9, 2018, Lithium batteries that are installed in any checked OR carry-on baggage must be removed by the customer. Once removed, they can be transported on board." Battery powered baggage? I assume that is what they meant? This I have not seen before, but who knows? I hope they are not referring to installed batteries in computers, cameras and such. That would be a nightmare. Anybody have any clarification on this?

Just to complicate things further, I noticed in the fine print of my current United Airlines ticket this little gem. They now said " Effective July 9, 2018, Lithium batteries that are installed in any checked OR carry-on baggage must be removed by the customer. Once removed, they can be transported on board." Battery powered baggage? I assume that is what they meant? This I have not seen before, but who knows? I hope they are not referring to installed batteries in computers, cameras and such. That would be a nightmare. Anybody have any clarification on this?

This IS specific to battery powered luggage. Until it was deemed dangerous, some carry-on bags were being sold essentially as charging units. They don't get many sales now.

Installed in baggage: Yes, that could have been more elegantly written but that would mean more words, smaller type, bigger sheets of paper...So you'd have to pay an additional printing fee. (sigh.)

Somehow you missed the kerfuffle this year. A number of baggage makers were putting a handy USB charging port and battery in their roll-on bags, so you could top off your cell phone when stuck at the airport. The carriers and agencies were debating whether to ban those bags entirely (some have fixed batteries, others can be removed) and put companies out of business, or find more reasonable compromises. Sounds like United is dealing with this the rational way.

giffenk, I know the TSA is purely domestic. But in actual point *their* standards and regulations are often applied (and perhaps mandated) for incoming flights into the US. Aeromexico had a post about that, saying that various standards applied but that passengers inbound to the US would be inspected according to TSA guidelines. Perhaps it is a treaty agreement, perhaps it is an airline regulation, i.e. if an airline wants permission to land in the US--they can and will comply with US federal policies, no matter where they originate or who regulates them outside of our airspace.

Making myself nauseous over this as we leave in 2 weeks. Not overly concerned with my standard batteries. I am concerned over the Lithium Ion for my SeaDragon flash. It would hurt to have to replace that!

I've never had a hint in writing or in an airport that batteries installed in devices had any issues.

Batteries installed in devices, as per the TSA and the UN shipping regulations and pretty much everything else, are always OK to ship or travel with until they hit some magic size limit, which is way more than most folks will ever need to worry about.

You can always email your carrier to check for additional issues, and if you are flying on a US carrier, it never hurts to print out a copy of the official TSA policy, because that binds your flight both ways, even if there's a misinformed numbnuts at the baggage examination area.

Back
Top Bottom