STA for Dive Rite TransPac and TransPlate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

certainmisuse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

It's unclear if a single tank adapter (STA) is required for each of these rigs? In the details online, they suggest that it's merely a convenience for moving from singles to doubles. Anyone have experience using a TransPac or TransPlate without an STA? Is it possible and is it stable?

Thanks.

David

transpac can't use a STA because the bolts will punch into your back. Their wings have the cross hatch center section specifically for compatibility with the transpac as the cam bands thread into the harness directly
transplate is just a harness and is used on any standard backplate. If used with a dive rite wing, I HIGHLY recommend using a STA as the crosshatch center section noted above does not allow for any roll control for the tank.

While I love Dive Rite, there are frankly better and cheaper options out there for bp/w packages unless you specifically need the transpac/transplate harness which would only be if you had a significant *>100yd* hike with your rig on and can't use a dolly of some variety. That is exactly what the Transpac was designed for, and it excels at that, but there is no reason for them in normal diving.

I own a transpac and nomad *transpac harness with wing and plate for sidemount*, and formally owned a Transplate until I got a backplate that was long enough and fit me properly. Now that it fits properly, I use a one-piece harness and would only use the Transpac if I had to hike with doubles on.

I use a Transplate without a STA, without issue.

I have a Transpac and no STA required as @tbone1004 mentioned above. I also agree that Transpac is “too much” for dives that do not require hiking on land for some distance. It’s got a lot of padding. But it is very stable on IMO, as the straps really mould to your body, more so than a standard bp/w.

Back
Top Bottom