Horizon Dive Adventures Complaint Filed in Federal Court

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you not find that the law puts him in a rather strong position?

But I agree with the sentiment that his mischaracterization of the cause of death makes his cause somewhat diluted. He was invited to the report of findings at Panama City. Which makes it all stranger.
One of those Pandora boxes...

One of those Pandora boxes...
The whole situation is like that. I'd love to have one person to point my finger at, but I see a perfect storm of incompetence or lack of hubris that all came together in one place and a man died because of it. Is he to blame? Partially. Is the instructor to blame? Partially. Is the boat to blame? It all came together and any little thing going right could have broken the chain. Nothing went right, and it was set up for nothing to go right.

The whole situation is like that. I'd love to have one person to point my finger at, but I see a perfect storm of incompetence or lack of hubris that all came together in one place and a man died because of it. Is he to blame? Partially. Is the instructor to blame? Partially. Is the boat to blame? It all came together and any little thing going right could have broken the chain. Nothing went right, and it was set up for nothing to go right.
As an incident analysis, very well put.

Keep racking my brains about their surface distress....keeps coming up DCS. Since computer shows good ppO2.

So this would mean Sotis was bent. How did he get treated? Secret trip to a chamber? So many HIPPA privacy laws maybe they can’t disclose? In water decompression? Seems crazy but this story plenty crazy already.

But as was said by Wookie and others, The deceased has a lot of liability here, maybe not all. If they got bent it’s both their fault. The Boat has some liability on the failed surface rescue. Lawyers are gonna make 3 minutes seem very long. Mfg of Equipment liability? I think not. Look at all the warnings.
Very aggressive plan. Sotis wife being MD must feel some liability herself.

Why not more surface interval?

Sad. That young man was really on track to help the world. Maybe was just trying to go about it too fast.

People get DCS all the time, sometimes "it's their fault", sometimes its not at all.

I did not talk about anybody being at fault.

I’m just trying to unravel the mystery.

1) If They both got DCS, how did one of them not require some kind of Recompression therapy? Oxygen alone can’t cure, right?

2) if not DCS, then what? C02, or O2 toxicity? His computer says no problem.

3) carbon MonoxideCO? Seems unreasonable but possible. That’s detectable if they analyze cylinders.

So we left with #1? Whatever it was was happening to both divers, one just lucky to get hauled into boat. But if #1 then how did the one diver get healed

@Cruisin Home

1) yes, pure O2 can resolve some types of DCS, it all depends on how bad it is and what kind it is. Surface O2 treatment is ideal
2) could be bad sensors though more likely some sort of DCS hit.
3) would have hit them a lot earlier than that last dive

As said above, surface O2 is deal. The curious bit is the diver that was hauled onto the boat was a paid safety diver, i.e. first one in, last one out....

Or the apparent hypoxia that the surviving diver experienced is not the same as whatever killed Rob. There is no evidence either way that they even experienced the same thing. And exactly why Sortis passed out has not been publicly disclosed. Seems fairly clear from the computer log that Rob's loop was not hypoxic. But he was not recovered in a way which did not preserve evidence of what went wrong - so we may never know.

@Cruisin Home
. The curious bit is the diver that was hauled onto the boat was a paid safety diver, i.e. first one in, last one out....

Interesting point, I believe it has been stated earlier in this thread that the boat was manouvering under power to position themselves to pick up the divers, it is possible that the safety diver was the closest diver or in the way and it made sense at the time to pick him up first.

I usually wait until my students are on board before climbing the ladder, but last week I found myself boarding first a couple of times due to the way the boat maneuvered in current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom