Phones in Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I do not usually bother with a phone when in Coz, but this has proved problematical a couple of times, and I decided to arrange for one this time. I am not sure if my smart phone works down there, and I was wondering if I should just get a burner phone when down there? What do you guys usually do?

I have Verizon, you can either pay per day like if staying a week or when I stayed a month, I turned on international for 25 bucks - 500 minutes, unlimited texts and 1gig if I remember right. I used the net for data if I needed it.

Have you ever used WhatsApp? If the caller and the receiver both have the free app on their cell phone, then calls and texts are free anywhere in the world.

The world would stop moving without WhatsApp, I forgot all about that.

Switched to T-mobile specifically for this reason. Unlimited talk text and data included for Mexico and Canada on their standard plan (2 lines for a $100 even plus a bonus free line). I have never had a problem connecting in Mexico or Canada.

I have Verizon, you can either pay per day like if staying a week or when I stayed a month, I turned on international for 25 bucks - 500 minutes, unlimited texts and 1gig if I remember right. I used the net for data if I needed it.
I thought the 25 bucks just got you the ability to access your regular data and call plan. I didn't realize it had separate limits.

Keep in mind, if you've got a "business" plan for your phone then the costs to roam internationally are very different.

Using a US based phone in Cozumel has a couple benefits.
1. People can reach you at your normal number
2. You can reach people back in the states without doing anything special (just dial the regular number)
The main drawbacks that I can think of are
1. Cost
2. dialing a dive shop or hotel or other business or person in Mexico might require international dialing. It's not a huge deal once you know what to do.

Buying a burner phone or just a Mexican SIM card has different benefits.
1. Calling businesses/people in Mexico will probably be easier (your hotel, the dive shop, etc).
2. Cost
the main drawbacks that I can think of are
1. Dialing US based numbers (such as a dive buddy staying in another room) might require international dialing.
2. Burner might not include international calling without an extra fee.
3. People have to know the number of your burner in order to reach you.
4. If you take pics with your burner phone, you'll probably want to transfer them to your regular phone eventually. (not an issue if you just got a SIM for your regular device)
5. Unless you're using android for both the burner and your regular phone you probably won't have your contact list on the burner. If you're using android, it will just synch up once you setup the burner with your google id.

That's all I can think of. There's sure been a lot of threads on this topic. It's probably worth searching the Cozumel forum on Scubaboard for more info.

Have you ever used WhatsApp? If the caller and the receiver both have the free app on their cell phone, then calls and texts are free anywhere in the world.

That's only free when you put it on airplane mode and turn on wifi. Then, you need wifi, of course.

Edit - I mean that it will go against your cellular as data usage if you have cellular turned on.

If you have Sprint, your calls are free. If you have Verizon, sign up for Travel Pass. It's $5/day for the days you have cellular on (airplane mode with WiFi on doesn't count against you). It uses your same minutes and data plan as what you have at home .

With AT&T as soon as I land in Cozumel, I get a text saying that I can use my phone there in accordance with my US data and phone plan, but there will be a $10/day charge on any days in which I make calls, text, or use data on the cellular network.

Back
Top Bottom