FF Pro - report and question on sizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gjoyce3

Registered
Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of yellow FF Pros. I dive in a yellow drysuit and these finds make my suit look shabby - they practically glow underwater (which I find awesome).

I got to try the fins out last night and based on what I read here, I am on my way to becoming a fanboy: because - I hatred them. It was quite obvious that I have no clue on how to use them properly. Frankly, I have been frog kicking so long that it felt strange to stretch my legs out horizontally and just kick. Based on what I have read, it takes ten dives to learn the technique and I am willing to give it a go. I can say, that I did not have any problem on the surface swim out- they paddled out quite nicely and were very easy to get on and off in the surf (a nice bonus).

Now for the question. I dive in a pair of 13 soft soled booties (3mm) over neoprene drysuit socks, over a pair of regular sock (on the thick side). The fins went on easy with no significant discernible side to side play. But, when finning, I got a constant feedback in the form of a tap on my toes. It almost felt like I was contacting the sand (which I was able to assure myself that I was not). The tap came on the bottom top of my stroke. Is this a sign that my fins are too large or it it just the way these fins feel? I can try a pair of sneaker style soled booties in 6mm, but would prefer my current setup. Thanks for any thoughts.

Not sure, but thank you. Once your leg get's into the motion you will never go back to a Shoe Fin...Thank you for your support of our American made Force Fins. Best, Bob

First question is what size are the Force Fins?

It is not unusual to have a different feel at your toes with Force Fins since they are not locked into the fin pocket. If the fins are loose and wobble, then you might need to add a pair of comfort insteps.

Post a picture if you can and it will make it easier for us to see what the problem might be - if there is one.

First question is what size are the Force Fins?

It is not unusual to have a different feel at your toes with Force Fins since they are not locked into the fin pocket. If the fins are loose and wobble, then you might need to add a pair of comfort insteps.

Post a picture if you can and it will make it easier for us to see what the problem might be - if there is one.
Thanks TN..looking forward to working on the ship project with you..Hopefully you have reviewed the video ? Best, bob

I wear a size 13 shoe. They are XXL. I will take a photo next dive. I can say that they do not wobble when on, but my fore foot definitely comes up off them. I will get out this week and should be able to report back - if not I will play dress up at home and take a photo.

They are XXL. I will take a photo next dive. I can say that they do not wobble when on, but my fore foot definitely comes up off them. I will get out this week and should be able to report back - it not I will play dress up at home and take a photo

I am a man that wears size 10-11 men's shoes. I use a XXL. Are you a woman? (Your profile is sadly lacking in details!!!) What is your shoe size? These details are necessary to determine that you have the right size to fit you. Inquiring minds want to know! :)

It sounds to me that your fins are too big. I have a pair of Pro size XL in yellow that my boys all used until they became fully grown. Even though nobody in my family currently uses them, I keep them to offer divers that I guide to try out.

A comfort instep would help, but I think that I would rather see you try a smaller size. Why don't you stop by and we'll let you try a size XL for free. I'll even comp the dive.

Now as far as learning to kick a set of Force Fins... well, don't think about it. They NATURALLY kick well. The very fact that you mentioned frog kicking (don't get me started!!)... You, my friend, are not a frog! :eek: Just kick the easiest way. Bend your knees, relax! Shoot, sometimes just for fun I even act like I'm pedalling a bicycle!

You had to have someone TELL you and TEACH to try and act like a green bumpy amphibian. WHY!!!??? DID YOU EVER ASK, "WHY????" The answer is to try and FIX the inherent problems of attaching a set of plastic BOARDS to your toes! I recently had a conversation with a shop owner here in Tallinn and he gave his reason for not wanting Force Fins, "You cannot frog kick with them." My answer, which really did leave him speechless, (the current expression is mic drop), "Why would anyone WANT to [frog kick]?!!?"

I am a dude with size 13 wide feet. Not sure what is natural in the kicking department. I do know that when I stretch my legs out, they head for the surface :) Keeping them tucked in (modified frog kick) helps keep my trim. My older son (15yrs) naturally goes for a Dolphin kick - nothing we taught him, just something that he does.

Thanks for the offer - I would love to get to Estonia - not sure it will be any time soon.

I am a dude with size 13 wide feet. Not sure what is natural in the kicking department. I do know that when I stretch my legs out, they head for the surface :) Keeping them tucked in (modified frog kick) helps keep my trim. My older son (15yrs) naturally goes for a Dolphin kick - nothing we taught him, just something that he does.
Thanks for the offer - I would love to get to Estonia - not sure it will be any time soon.

Got it. So hopefully, Joyce is not your first name! :)

Sounds like XXL is right then. Try bending your knees and kicking with your leg from the knee down. If you sat on a chair/barstool that allowed you to dangle your legs and just swung your legs to and fro like a bored little kid, that is the motion that is replicated but in the position of a diver. Does that make any sense?

I actually spend a lot of my dives just using my feet, knee bent. My feet, bending at the ankles, gives me plenty of propulsion in wrecks and overhead environments to get around without kicking up silt. My feet are "heading for the service" in this profile but it works great to keep silt down.

Actually, what am I doing???? I should be telling you how rotten these fins are and trying to get you sell them to me for a few peanuts!! What an idiot! :banghead:

Sounds like your fins are the right size - I wear Size 11 and need a comfort instep to make them fit properly.

Mike gave you some good ideas for how to kick with Force Fins - try them, you will find they work.

I think the "toe" thing is just the different feel because your toes are not restrained by the fin foot pocket. It is normal for the fin and toes to separate slightly during the kick,

Sounds like your fins are the right size - I wear Size 11 and need a comfort instep to make them fit properly.

Mike gave you some good ideas for how to kick with Force Fins - try them, you will find they work.

I think the "toe" thing is just the different feel because your toes are not restrained by the fin foot pocket. It is normal for the fin and toes to separate slightly during the kick,

I don't use a comfort instep with the "same" shoe size, but I have high arches, so I fill up the pocket with booties on nicely. I could see where someone with a narrower foot (mine are REALLY wide) also may need this adjustment. Man I LOVE wiggling me toes! Kind of like the good old days of my youth when we ran barefoot through the fields among the cow pies!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom