Orcatorch D800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no_surrender

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anyone have any experience with this torch? I'm new to deep diving, night diving, and diving in general. This looks like a pretty decent non-canister light as a primary for recreational diving. Also curious if using it out of water occasionally will lower its overall performance. Thoughts?

Thanks!

I would get an Xtar D26 1600 over that light any day.

The Xtar is less lumens, but it's still DANG bright. And the Xtar has 4 brightness levels. Sometimes even 1000 lumens is too much. Especially on night dives. Plus, at a lower level, it will burn for hours and hours.

And the Xtar is way more compact. The Xtar will mount in a soft mount (e.g. Oxycheq Raider) on the back of your hand, which is nice. That D800 is too big to do that comfortably.

Just my $0.02.

I would get an Xtar D26 1600 over that light any day.

The Xtar is less lumens, but it's still DANG bright. And the Xtar has 4 brightness levels. Sometimes even 1000 lumens is too much. Especially on night dives. Plus, at a lower level, it will burn for hours and hours.

And the Xtar is way more compact. The Xtar will mount in a soft mount (e.g. Oxycheq Raider) on the back of your hand, which is nice. That D800 is too big to do that comfortably.

Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the reply, stuartv. It doesn’t appear the xtar d26 1600 is available on Amazon at the moment, but I’ll keep an eye out. The wife still needs a primary as well. Speaking of primary, isn’t 2000 lumens the unwritten standard of brightness for primaries?

I would not say that at all. If there were such a thing, I would probably peg it at 1000 lumens. Bear in mind that dive lights brighter than 1000 lumens didn't even exist until relatively recently in the history of scuba diving.

I would not say that at all. If there were such a thing, I would probably peg it at 1000 lumens. Bear in mind that dive lights brighter than 1000 lumens didn't even exist until relatively recently in the history of scuba diving.
I don't remember where I read that, but thanks for the clarification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom