1000 Islands Shipwreck Penetrations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Years ago, one of my dive buddies joined the Navy and became a clearance diver. He came to Tobermory to visit many years later and as we sat having a beer and watching the Chi-Cheemaun dock, he kinda went "Hmmm....". I'm pretty sure he was calculating the size and placement of the required charges... I think there's a fine line between being a terrorist and just wanting a new dive site. :p

The "Cheech" is a nice little ferry that docks in town.

View attachment 478375

It's a very pretty ferry...I wonder if it will be just as pretty underwater...

It's a very pretty ferry...I wonder if it will be just as pretty underwater...

Prettier in fact. Because it's friggin' horn won't blast into my bedroom every morning. :)

Are there any thoughts on an artificial reef project?

The AE Vickery is fascinating to me. My expectations for a wooden ship was based on the NJ schooner barges - a small pile of what used to be a wreck and maybe a shot at finding a dead eye. Penetrating a wooden ship was something I never thought I would do.

Although no one is going to sink a restored tall ship where would we begin the discussion about an intentional sinking?

A small Conroy motor boat was just intentionally sunk at Bonnie Castle. You can find it by following the line from the cove just to the left of the boat launch toward the training platforms. Once at the first platform in 30 feet of water, descend the suspension cable to the skeleton. Facing the skeleton swim to your right. Pick up the guideline that starts at the far right block. Follow it until you hit a large piece of metal that looks like an L-shaped plow. Take a NW compass heading off that and in several kicks you'll see the small motorboat in about 70 feet of water.

Thanks for that. I was there not long ago but didn’t know about the boat, we went to the car.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom