Diving Without BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interesting discussion. I purchased a solid plastic harness a few weeks ago to try some minimalist diving using a 19cf pony to do some quick shore dives at about 20' feet max. With my sac rate, I figure I can get a quick 20 min dive with that amount of air if I snorkel out 50 yards off shore. I live on Grand Cayman for a good chunk of the year (where solo diving is a no-no, but I figure I can jump in in front of my house and no one will know), so I dive with no exposure suit. I'm +2 natural buoyancy, the reg is -1, the tank goes from -1.4 to + 0.1 full to empty, so I'll be -0.4 at the start and +1 or so at the end. I plan to stick a 1# soft weight in my bathing suit pocket, so I'll be -1.4 at the start and neutral at the end. I may use my neoprene-lined snorkel vest just to be safe, which is +1, and would then use 2#. Does this weighting make sense for a no-BDC dive? (btw, the water on seven mile beach is warm, clear, low/no current, typically smooth as a lake, and has restricted boat traffic that close to shore - and lots of snorkelers).

I'm surprised that you are only +2 pounds buoyancy. Most people are more than that, like +6 to +8 pounds. But, try it and see how it feels. I'd suggest that you have extra weights available to grab in case you find that you need more to be neutral.

mike,

Diving as you're planning is one time I like to use a snorkel. Also, we have to use a dive float, which can help if you find yourself a pound heavy at the end of a dive. Solo diving in Michigan isn't a problem though.

Hello All!

I am interested in doing some diving this summer with no BCD and a lightweight, minimal gear setup.

I enjoy exploring the coast snorkeling and freediving, and I'm competent with basic open water scuba diving. I would like to bridge the gap with a small, basic scuba system that I can comfortably haul a long distance from my car for shallow water summer diving.

My plan is to dive shore entry, shallow (35 ft or less), in warm water with no wetsuit or a thin shorty. For those familiar with San Diego, think Children's Pool and similar. I have aluminum luxfer 50s and 63s that I plan to use. I've practiced controlling my buoyancy on previous dives using my lung volume, but never witthout a BCD or wetsuit on.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get my weighting dialed in? Any recommendations for tank harness? So far I've been looking at a plastic backpack (Trident), a back plate and harness, , or a back inflation travel BCD with the wing removed (weight integration would be nice).

I read the original post as "I'd like to find a non-traditional BCD that's very minimalist" as opposed to "I want to dive without a BCD".

I wanted a minimalist setup, too. I ended up with a Freedom Plate (designed and made in California and sold on this forum) and an 18lb wing from Vintage Double Hose. My rig is TINY. You could do one of the plastic plates but you'd still need weights if you dive a wet suit.

Assuming this thread was actually about foregoing a buoyancy control device to reduce gear: My wing takes up less space than a pair of jeans. You'd still need all the rest of the rig to support the tank, so why change the way you dive and sacrifice neutral buoyancy to save such a small amount of gear?

I appreciate that there are people who dive w/o a BCD just for the sake of doing so. If that's what you're after, then by all means go for it. But again, if you're just trying to save a little space in your gear bag, I think there are better ways to do so than by sacrificing a buoyancy control device.

I read the original post as "I'd like to find a non-traditional BCD that's very minimalist" as opposed to "I want to dive without a BCD".

I wanted a minimalist setup, too. I ended up with a Freedom Plate (designed and made in California and sold on this forum) and an 18lb wing from Vintage Double Hose. My rig is TINY. You could do one of the plastic plates but you'd still need weights if you dive a wet suit.

Assuming this thread was actually about foregoing a buoyancy control device to reduce gear: My wing takes up less space than a pair of jeans. You'd still need all the rest of the rig to support the tank, so why change the way you dive and sacrifice neutral buoyancy to save such a small amount of gear?

I appreciate that there are people who dive w/o a BCD just for the sake of doing so. If that's what you're after, then by all means go for it. But again, if you're just trying to save a little space in your gear bag, I think there are better ways to do so than by sacrificing a buoyancy control device.
I have to agree, the VDH 18 is the slickest little wing I’ve ever seen or used. It’s almost not there, but it is there... if you need it.

No BC diving is an artform, or these days it could be considered a counter culture movement to annoy those that say it can’t be done. So it’s a discipline, an artform, and a political movement. It’s practiced these days by officionados of vintage diving, and modern minimalist divers who are after refining their skills to the point of reaching a zen. Some just do it to see if they can.
The free movement of having nothing slowing you down is part of it, but it goes further than that. Every person who practices no BC diving has their own personal reasons for doing so.

I will tell you my reason ... the first scuba divers had incredibly poor equipment but they could do many (not all) the same dives we do now. Their technique was mostly better than ours now. Everyone is different but now scuba is a mass sport the average level is lower than in the past. Also, refining the skills by doing no BCD diving should be a good training also for diving with BCD. When diving with BCD we are supposed to dive with little weight on the belt, not more than what is necessary. Inflate the BCD on the surface, deflate it when the dive starts, adjust it slightly and not touch it anymore for the whole dive unless it is strictly necessary. Diving should be based on correct buoyancy and trim, not on the usage of BCD, even when diving with the BCD. I would like to start no BCD diving in order to reach a perfect control of buoyancy and trim

Yeah I meant to say people dive w/o BCDs for various reasons, not ‘just because’ :).

I pretty much got there by getting rid of extra weight and diving a small BCD. Once I got the 18lb wing, I was able to get rid of excess air, and therefore get rid of excess weight. Then I got my trim properly established and it’s been the most freeing experience. I honestly don’t think about my BCD except when I first descend, and when I’ve started ascending. And it’s never been anywhere close to full.

I’m the one with the white fins, for reference on how tiny the 18lb wing is.

Attachments

• 3D6E5703-0B63-4108-975E-9EEFAE396A0F.jpeg
    3D6E5703-0B63-4108-975E-9EEFAE396A0F.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 98
  • BF084C01-3277-4B71-8E4D-C9AC488FD96D.jpeg
    BF084C01-3277-4B71-8E4D-C9AC488FD96D.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 168
Just a few thoughts from someone that dove several times using a bc that wouldn’t hold air.

It’s possible but I’m not sure it’s preferrable. You want to go minimalist. How about ditching the snorkel and getting an air integrated, hoseless computer? And/or a scubapro air 2? And/or a minimalist BCD like scubapro lighthawk? You’ll have very little gear to carry.

...I dive with no exposure suit. I'm +2 natural buoyancy, the reg is -1, the tank goes from -1.4 to + 0.1 full to empty, so I'll be -0.4 at the start and +1 or so at the end. I plan to stick a 1# soft weight in my bathing suit pocket, so I'll be -1.4 at the start and neutral at the end. I may use my neoprene-lined snorkel vest just to be safe, which is +1, and would then use 2#. Does this weighting make sense for a no-BDC dive?

I wouldn't bother using any weight, you should be able to control that amount of buoyancy with your lungs. Being slightly positive on the surface at the end of a dive and having a snorkel is quite reassuring. The snorkel vest is a good idea although they don't make them with CO2 detonators, like the ones on the Mae West I had back in the day, any more.

Bob

I wouldn't bother using any weight, you should be able to control that amount of buoyancy with your lungs. Being slightly positive on the surface at the end of a dive and having a snorkel is quite reassuring. The snorkel vest is a good idea although they don't make them with CO2 detonators, like the ones on the Mae West I had back in the day, any more.
Bob

Will be easy to test, thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom