Gear purchases you DON’T regret

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogbowl

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
:)

I was reading some other threads about gear people really loved, for example, What a great bag!!

And then I saw another thread about gear purchases people regretted: Any equipment buying regrets ?

So I then got the idea to start a thread of gear purchases people DON’T regret one bit, like stuff people thought were REALLY GREAT!

I’m going to start with my list - I LOVE these items:
  • Shearwater Perdix - needs no introduction
  • Mares Cruise Deluxe - so practical, so durable, so inexpensive, so easily purchasable (i.e. via Amazon)
  • Beanie (any brand) - I literally cannot dive without one as this keeps my hair out of my face, and makes mask don/doff so much easier
  • Henderson Thermaxx 5mm - damn it’s stretchy, easy to don and doff, moulds to every lump and bump on imperfect bodies
  • Henderson Thermaxx 5/3mm hooded vest - same as above; I don’t even know how they can get a hooded vest to feel NOT constricting - boggles my mind
I would buy these items again if I ever lost them or they died due to old age.

What about you? What stuff do you LOVE? :heart:

1. Ocean Reef G. Diver FFM - Will only go back to conventional if required for DM purposes
2. 40" MiFlex hose - lets my route my primary under my arm in conjunction w/ a ball swivel
3. Hog D3 first stage - Love the swivel feature and can be self-serviced
4. Mares MV Octo - as far as they go...this one is great! easy breathing and minimalistic

1) Perdix
2) Milk crate with drawer handles (from a home improvement store) installed on inside edges of the crate.
3) SP G260 reg and Atomic regs. These are a distant third though because they're not as smooth as my old SP D350.

Ok, I sort of manufactured #2 myself, but it is perfect for any dive boat where it will fit under the bench. I put my regs/wing on my tanks and put those on the boat. With the exception of my wetsuit, the crate then holds all my remaining gear. The handles on the inside are the perfect spot to clip lights and computers in place (using a double ender) where they won't fall out or get lost. Fins get bungeed on top, so everything is in a neat, compact package for the boat.

@Dogbowl, my dive buddy also feels the same way about her beanie!

For me, it would definitely include:
1. Aqua Lung Legend LX Reg. It is incredibly easy breathing and I like (but don't rely on) its ACD feature.
2. Scuba Pro Sea Wing Novo fins. They may not be for everybody, but I like them.
3. Sony A6000 mirrorless camera and Nauticam Housing & Ports.

1) Perdix
2) Milk crate with drawer handles (from a home improvement store) installed on inside edges of the crate.
3) SP G260 reg and Atomic regs. These are a distant third though because they're not as smooth as my old SP D350.

Ok, I sort of manufactured #2 myself, but it is perfect for any dive boat where it will fit under the bench. I put my regs/wing on my tanks and put those on the boat. With the exception of my wetsuit, the crate then holds all my remaining gear. The handles on the inside are the perfect spot to clip lights and computers in place (using a double ender) where they won't fall out or get lost. Fins get bungeed on top, so everything is in a neat, compact package for the boat.

@Dogbowl, my dive buddy also feels the same way about her beanie!
Milk crates are great. Duffel bags big enough to hold a dive shop are not welcome on my boat.

My best purchase is the Panoramic GoMask. The field of view is excellent. When I wear a regular mask in the pool I'm reminded how much I like my mask.

Going DIN is another big no regret. Yoke valves should be relegated to vintage gear across the globe.

Maybe it’s a “woman thing”? :p

Yeah, we bald guys have it pretty good, except for stupid sunburns on the top of your head. :( I have also learned to keep a few extra hair bands in my crate. Those come in handy when the occasional hair emergency arises for my buddy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom