Dive Shops in Nelson Bay/Newcastle/Central Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife (PADI AOW) and I (PADI OW) are intending to get back into diving after each having an 8-10 year break.

We were thinking to do the PADI Re-Activate program somewhere relatively local. We're in Newcastle and don't mind driving an hour in either direction.

The local options seem to be diveimports on the coast, lets go adventures in Nelson Bay. I can't see any PADI shops in Newcastle, but am happy to be corrected.

Couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have experience with these shops and the local dives?
  2. Would you recommend these, or any other dive shops locally?
  3. Where is the best place to buy gear locally? We're going to need masks fins and snorkels.
  4. I'm intending to do the AOW course sometime in the near future, so would it be better for me to just front up to the store, explain that I'm well out of practice and ask if that's going to be a problem for the AOW so that I can skip the re-activate program?

Thanks in advance!

Also Feet First Dive in Nelson Bay and Pro Dive Central Coast.

I’ve dived with Let’s Go and Dive Imports and been happy with the experience.

Lot’s of good diving up your way - both shore dives and from a boat. Also, from what I’ve seen a pretty friendly and welcoming dive communities.

Also Feet First Dive in Nelson Bay and Pro Dive Central Coast.

It looks like they're both SSI shops, right? I understand there's not a great deal of difference, but I'd thought to do a PADI for the training simply so that our certifications are all through them. Does that not seem sensible?

lets go adventures in Nelson Bay , Rob Stewart there drives the boat legend guy, great diver. You are only doing a refresher course as you are already certified, just work out a time and book in, they have a retail shop to purchase gear from. Great shore diving and boat diving there. Nudibranchs to Grey Nurse sharks enjoy

It looks like they're both SSI shops, right? I understand there's not a great deal of difference, but I'd thought to do a PADI for the training simply so that our certifications are all through them. Does that not seem sensible?

It seems sensible on the face of it, but in the end I’m not sure it really matters. The PADI and SSI courses are based on the same standards. Both will be recognised wherever you go in the world. Both recognise each other’s courses as prerequisites for other courses (except if you want to pay for their vanity certs - PADI’s Master Scuba Diver, and SSI’s Advanced Open Water Diver and Master Diver).

Lets-Go are a PADI operation, I have dived with them a couple of times and have been happy with the overall service, the people, the dives, the boat. I have my own dive kit so wont comment on their hire equipment.

We run the re-activate program at Dive2000 in Neutral bay Sydney. I would recommend you doing this if you have been out of the water for a number of years. Get comfortable with your basic drills and being back in the water and then move onto your AOW. You will enjoy the AOW more if you have a few dives under your belt beforehand.

Its your training so your choice, if you want to stick with PADI as your training agency then that's your prerogative I do agree that SSI and PADI will be alike in the actual course material, as with all things the key difference will be the actual instructor so my advice would be speak to them beforehand and ensure your happy.

Not much difference really between most of the agencies. Pick the shop that is best for you. I can recommend Pro Dive, Bob is a great bloke and probably the second longest owned shop in NSW, if not Australia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom