Unboxing my new Mako Yamamoto 5 mil...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I admit to making this purchase with a bit of trepidation. Like others I had read about the special care that an open cell wetsuit requires to don. But I absolutely hate the 5 mils that I have tried, even to the point of wearing multiple layers and sometimes just accepting the fact that I would be cold on some dives rather than wear my 5. And it seems the stretchy suits all lose their warmth in less then a year of dives.

I had read Dano’s responses to posts on scubaboard and watched his videos with interest. It didn’t seem too challenging and I did try and think through the issues I might have including the inconvenience of travel with the lubricant, valet dive ops that care for wetsuits, fit (I tend to be hard to fit), and potential damage to inside suit with finger nails. But I liked the idea of a warmer wetsuit and a suit that might not lose insulation over the year of dives. I especially liked the 2 pc aspect. So when I saw his “Bro Deal” (sorry Dano but I hate that title) I placed my order late evening on October 2nd and it arrived yesterday, the 6th!

MAKO Spearguns: Oct Bro-Deal - Yamamoto Wetsuits

After placing my order I received a message from Dano with some reminders of the best way to don and doff an open cell wetsuit as well as precautions and care instructions. One thing he said was about the optimal swimsuit to compliment his wetsuit and minimalist was the key factor. Well there is nothing minimal about my skirt tankinis. And I have a closet full. This did worry me.

Well the unboxing was my first surprise. This 5 mil was so compact and light! In fact I had to check the label to make sure it was the 5 mil. Aesthetically its not my favorite color, I bought the camo, and the chest pad is not needed but for me its function over fashion. Of course I had to give it a try so I put on my swimsuit and started spraying. Took less then 2 minutes to give the suit and myself a good coating.

Then it was time to give the pants a try. It was so easy! Next the top. Ok this was more of a challenge and I did need help. But nothing scary and I am sure it will get easier with experience. Same with doffing, needed help with the top but overall it was much easier then my 5mil and not much worse than my stretchy 3. And it did not feel like a 5 mil on. Much more comfortable and flexable.

One concern was the snap on the beaver tail. It was pretty substantial and I was concerned it might be a problem with the quick release on my crotch strap. So I tried it with my BPW and thankfully for me it wasn’t an issue.

Unfortunately I will not get a chance to dive it until Cozumel in February. But my initial reaction was favorable enough that I ordered the 3 mil for myself and Eric ordered one as well.

My only complaint @MAKO Spearguns ...

Why does the female version cost more than the male even though its only high waisted pants and not a full farmer john like the mens? I would think that the men’s would cost more.

I exclusively use freediving suits for scuba diving. I can't stand my old scuba wet suits any more and have been selling them off or giving them away. I really prefer the open cell neoprene against the skin. It's worth it to have to use suit lube.

Just one warning: In the beginning I had trouble keeping track of my suit lube bottles. It was not something that I was used to having around, and I managed to leave a couple of them behind before I had reliably added it to my thought list of gear to keep track of. Make a conscious effort to remember to take the lube with you when you go diving, and also to bring it back home with you.

Thanks for the encouragement and advice. Since Eric will be diving open cell too (if it fits) I hope that between us we will remember the spray. I also usually have a tube of leave in hair conditioner for post dive detangling so will possibly have an emergency back up if we do for get the spray

Do you find you need to relube the suit between 2 tank dives?

Do you find you need to relube the suit between 2 tank dives?
My suit will still have lube left in it, but I usually do a reduced squirt in the suit on the second dive anyway. I use hair conditioner mixed with water. It is cheap and only takes 1/2 to 3/4 minutes to squirt some in and rub it around. I'm sure I could get the suit on without it, buy why make it harder than necessary? The main loss of lube is that I will lose what is on my skin when I rinse off between dives. If not for that, there would probably be little if any benefit to using more for the 2nd dive.

One big benefit is that the open cell freediving suit is just as easy to put on for that 2nd or 3rd dive as it was for the first. That's not something that is true for regular scuba suits. When they are wet, they are much harder to put on than when they are dry. The other benefits: they are very comfortable, and they are also very warm (as good or better than a semi-dry).

You’re going to love the soft skin that conditioner gives you. Also, the suit will never stink like mildew inside.
Up here in no mans land we put them there things on nekkid....under a dive cover-up of course.
I found that any sort of swim suit or material just makes the suit bind up and prevents it from sliding on freely.
Talk to any freediver using a skin-in suit, they’ll all tell you they go commando underneath. This is another reason to get a quality made suit, so the seams don’t blow out!

I keep a sports squeeze bottle of baby shampoo-water mix in my dive bag. I use it for mask anti-fog and suit lube (for my regular wetsuits). It works great for that. I bet it would work for freedive suit lube, too.

The suit sounds great!

Uncfnp

Thanks for the feedback and your support. Regarding the term, "Bro Deal", I see your point. How does "Dive Buddy Deal" sound?

Regarding the suit, I don't want to sound like an advertisement here, but it is important to note that MAKO only uses 100% genuine Yamamoto neoprene for our wetsuits. The reason this is important is because, Yamamoto, is by far, the most superior neoprene material in the world. Yamamoto neoprene is actually made in Japan using limestone, as opposed to the petroleum based neoprene made in China.

The result is a much warmer and much stretchier suit that does not cause skin irritations. This is especially important with an open cell suit where the neoprene material is in direct contact with your skin. And, because I offer these suits direct to divers, my 100% genuine Yamamoto suits actually cost less than non-Yamamoto, petroleum based suits.

Well, thanks again for the feedback, Lisa. Hope you have an awesome trip to Cozumel in Feb.

Oh yeah..Regarding the cost difference between the women's suits and the men's, the women's suits cost more because there is a bit more involved in the production. And, we just don't have as many made.

Dive Safe
Dano

I dove the new 3 ml suit for the first time today. My Gosh what a difference! I was toasty warm in 82 to 83 water temp. I would normally be in a 3 plus vest. In fact I was almost too warm! I had to pull the hood back toward the end of several dives but I think by mid week as my core chills I will be just right.

It really is very easy to put on once you lube well. Honestly easier than a standard wetsuit. It is very stretchy and fits like a glove. So comfortable. Learning to remove the top is still a work in progress but each time its been a bit easier. There are no leaks at ankle or wrist and because the hood is part of the top there are no leaks at the neck to cause those nasty cold surprises down your back. I love the two piece design.

Just one issue. My hood traps air. So much so that it changes my buoyancy as it fills then when I release the air. The fault is mine. Apparently I release a small amount of air through my nose when I exhale and the mask releases it into the hood. So my question is @MAKO Spearguns, can I make a hole in the top of the hood the same way that I have done to my standard neoprene hoods?

Great to hear you are enjoying the suit. A full 3 mm freedive suit for 80 plus degrees would be too warm for a lot of people, especially if freediving.

As for the hood trapping air, you can burn a small hole at the top of the hood with a hot hanger - My attorney has advised me to suggest that you remove the hood when making the hole.:)

Are you using a buddy to help you remove the jacket? That is the easiest method and only takes a few seconds,

Thanks. And yes I have used a buddy but I want to be able to do it myself eventually. Nearly there.

I am quite pleased with the 3ml in the 82/83 range but I am very cold natured. That’s why I was so interested in your suits. Over 83 degrees and I will probably go back to my stardard 3ml. I am thinking the 5ml for Cozumel in February or maybe a 5/3 combination. Last February in Coz I was still cold in a full 3 plus core warmer and a hooded vest!

Now time to go find that hanger and a lighter...

Back
Top Bottom