USD in Sorong and taxi cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Is US D currency accepted in Sorong and if so how much should a taxi cost from the airport to the Swiss bell to hotel?

I’d also like to know how to get to Swiss Belhotel from the airport. I was hoping there might be a hotel shuttle of some sort.

They have a Shuttle Service that is available "on request" from the Hotel.

USD ($) is only good for paying hotel or the liveaboard or the resort. You better exchange your $ to Rupiah (Rp.) for everything else.

It is the best time to be there now since the currency has been recently devaluated from Rp.13.000,- to Rp.15.000,- per $1.00.

The going rate is about Rp.100.000,- (~$6.67) for the taxi (mini van) that can fit 4 divers with luggages. From airport to the Swiss-Belhotel is about 10 minute ride.

To kill the time, I go around town riding Ojek (motorcycle taxi) for Rp.25.000,- (~$6.67), but you need to be able to speak Bahasa Indonesia & haggle with the Ojek driver. They usually park across the street from the hotel.

Swiss Belhotel does not have a free shuttle. They may arrange something for you, but not sure they want to bother. They will probably suggest you take a taxi, which is simple and cheap enough. And yes, change some money before you get there. $100 is probably more than enough for incidentals.

It's easy peasy to change $100 for easy use. You might want some for suveniers besides the taxi. Also buying food at the airport is easier.

We arrive in Jakarta at 1150p and fly out to Sorong at 5 ish a.m..... Wil! anything be open i airport overnight? Figure ATM never closes

Be sure to check your account early and often after you use a credit card or ATM in Indo.

And don't forget the "travel advisory" with your bank before you leave. If you are changing planes in Taiwan or HK add that, too.

- Bill

Just got Jakarta. Huge upgrades to the airport, all new terminal. Good WiFi.
Flying Garuda HK - Jakarta then non stop to Sorong. Didn't have to pick up my bags in Jakarta, hoping for the best. Exchange rate in the airport is R14,920 for $1US, for new and large bills. SIM card and 12G of data with was R300,000.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom