Taxi Strike?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hah good luck with that - getting a straight and consistent answer from a taxi representative - that's funny!

My experience with taxi's on Cozumel mirror ggunn's and JamesBon92007.

I have a lot more history with taxi's in Playa, who make the drivers on Cozumel look like absolute saints, but I digress.

I, like most, have my strengths and weaknesses. Getting to the bottom of an issue and ferreting out the truth would be a strength of mine, honed by over 30 years as a residential landlord.

Not to worry Christi, I'll corroborate -- or not.

My experience with taxi's on Cozumel mirror ggunn's and JamesBon92007.

I have a lot more history with taxi's in Playa, who make the drivers on Cozumel look like absolute saints, but I digress.

I, like most, have my strengths and weaknesses. Getting to the bottom of an issue and ferreting out the truth would be a strength of mine, honed by over 30 years as a residential landlord.

Not to worry Christi, I'll corroborate -- or not.
While you are there, get a better picture of the price card that all the taxistas conveniently misplace as soon as you ask for it. The pictures we have are kind of blurry, like they were taken in a moving taxi.

While you are there, get a better picture of the price card that all the taxistas conveniently misplace as soon as you ask for it. The pictures we have are kind of blurry, like they were taken in a moving taxi.

I'm sure going to try. It was my experience in Playa, that getting a pic was like pulling teeth. Yeah, the pictures that we have are barely legible - in fact parts are illegible.

I'm thinking that we might hire a taxi for a day for a trip to the east side, and during that time I might be able to strike up enough of a rapport that he/she would allow it.

So who's picking me up a week from Saturday at the Airport?
Depends on when you get there we can share a ride or you can walk until you get a ride that's what we did last time.

We'll be down on the 19th, staying close to the taxi office; I'll stop in then.

So, how did that go for you?

Have you noticed the new gates and fence running around the front of the airport? That fence is to make it easier control traffic into the airport parking lot, because the parking lot is being privatized. Will be interesting to see how that works with drop-offs and pick-ups. Ticket to enter, pay to leave I suppose. The gates are at the entrance on airport boulevard.

Yeah, I did see those, and it does look as if there's likely to be a fee to park there. However, as of early October 2018 nobody was trying to charge.

Yeah, I did see those, and it does look as if there's likely to be a fee to park there. However, as of early October 2018 nobody was trying to charge.

The folks at the airport car rental agencies told me it would happed after the first of the year. We'll see.

I agree, taxi service leaves a lot to be desire at the same time it's all fixed up. I learned and rent a car.

Does anyone have a link to a relatively current taxi rate sheet or past/

Thanks!

Chris
I found one online recently but it was only from the cruise ship pier. From Centro to the cruise ship pier is about 95 pesos. From Hotel Coral Princess (north of town, hotel zone) it's 75 pesos. Around town expect about 50 pesos.

I do not believe the current 'official' rates have changed since Sept 2016
Per the rate cards posted by @ El Graduado in the sticky at the top of this forum.
Below is a snip for the centro region:

upload_2018-10-22_19-41-35.png

My Spanish is slim to none but as best as I can tell is that within any zone the cost is $26 ($= MXN Peso's) and if it is dispatched to you by phone or radio there is a $8 surcharge also if the taxi is in a queue (supermarket, pier or hotel) there is also a $8 surcharge and from midnight to 0600 or a queue in front of a bar or Cantina there is a $12 surcharge. I understand the cost of living has increased as has the cost Pemex gas, which has gone to around $4 USA / Gal and the quality seems to have gone down, so I normally pay around $40 in town for a street hailed taxi right up to the point the driver starts demanding higher amounts and then its back to the minimums.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom