Tip the baggers in the grocery stores

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know the answer to your questions. I believe I am correct but......

I really think it’s the case that there are not unpaid pump jockeys. I base that on never having seen evidence there were any (or even having heard of it before). Even people who say they've seen Aquaman swimming at Punta Tunich base that on something. You confidently say that not all the pump jockeys at the Pemex stations get paid. Tell us why. Basing a statement on no evidence at all beyond thinking you're right comes awfully close to a delusion.

So far as Pemex liability how about Mega's liability with the baggers?

The baggers aren't handling the store's cash, cash register, or credit card machines (and are in no position to scam people). The baggers aren't operating fuel pumps, or indeed any machinery at all. The baggers aren't standing next to moving motor vehicles or directing them. The baggers aren't exposed to large amounts of inflammable liquid throughout their work day. The baggers don't make any decisions on behalf of Mega ("should I pump 200 liters into this big truck without seeing their cash up-front?"). The baggers don't have an enforceable work schedule.

I deeply believe that if I showed up at a Pemex station and said "I'd like to get a key to your pumps so I can compete for tips with your employees, and I promise I'll probably give you the right amount of cash at the end of the day. Please hand me some cash so I can make change." they'd laugh me out of town. If I wanted to sign up as a bagger, they'd probably look at me funny but let me do it.

Back
Top Bottom