Message from CETATEK to all Divers:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some things look promising about this but there are some issues. First, the clip looks like it is removable. I can see losing these right and left when taking blades off in the water to climb a dive ladder in choppy seas, etc. That needs to be changed. My main concern is that all the force of the fin stroke being on one small point at the tips of your toes. You can see the instability in the video with the carbon blades wobbling all around on the kicks. Also, that is going to dramatically flex your foot in those soft shoes. I can only imagine the arch cramps . . . . The whole point of the boot/foot pocket combination is to transfer the force of the kick evenly all over the bottom and top of your foot and directly into the ankles, without having to make the foot itself flex with the stress. Your foot is "locked in" to prevent cramps. The shoe in your design looks very soft. I would think you would need something line a hard sole cycling shoe, along with the fin attachment part having extended wings that would slide into slots along the sides of the hard sole to distribute the force of the kick across the entire foot.

The basic idea looks good, though. I would be interested in something like this with some of these issues addressed.

Nice, more things to break with $300 price tag. Can't wait. Seriously. I had too much for too long.

Looking at the video with the carbon fiber attachment, I see a lot of energy loss in the high flexibility of the carbon (blade bend is almost perpendicular to diver). Maybe a stiffer carbon sheet would help. Would like to see the other blades in action...
As one post mentions, getting back on a boat by ladder would increase risk of losing the clip. I don't think you had divers look at this product very intensively.

I think it is a good idea.

My coments on implementation is derived from my experience from ski boot bindings and bicykle shoe system pedals.

The problems I see with both bicyckle "clicks" and ski bindings are when there is no agreed upon standard interface.

I can see a future when we have the ability to buy shoes or foot pockets from different manufacturors and blades from others, to combine as we like.

But for that future to become viable, it is important that the interface between shoe and blade is both well designed, well defined and openly avaliable for anyone to make use of without any fees.

In both the examples aof bicykles and ski there have been different almost compatible variants that have made problems for the end user.

The ideal cenario would be if there could be a standard for the interface but i am sure that is not going to happen as long as the big brand will se an advantage of designing their own.

In bicyckle "click systems" there have been many different "brand specific" variants, now its down to 2, with good eunough difference to be motivated.

I think it would be nice if i could buy myself a pair of blades that i like, and have one shoe for diving in warm conditions, one shoe for diving wet in cold waters, and another as a part of my dry suite. Buy another pair of blades for snorkeling and freediving and still be able to use the same shoes. And I would prefere if i could buy the shoes that fit my foot from one manufacturer, and the blades I like from another brand, and it would just fit together without any problems.

Wouldn't work for Bonaire shore dives. They would most likely get shredded on the first entry over the ironshore.

I think it would be nice if i could buy myself a pair of blades that i like, and have one shoe for diving in warm conditions, one shoe for diving wet in cold waters, and another as a part of my dry suite. Buy another pair of blades for snorkeling and freediving and still be able to use the same shoes. And I would prefere if i could buy the shoes that fit my foot from one manufacturer, and the blades I like from another brand, and it would just fit together without any problems.

Somehow, I just can't see that happening.

Try buying the backplate you want from one manufacturer, a harness from another, and the bladder from a third. Then try to put them together.

Some things (hoses, connectors) are standardized. Many/most are not. Manufacturers have a vested interest in keeping their equipment fittings proprietary wherever possible.

Wouldn't work for Bonaire shore dives. They would most likely get shredded on the first entry over the ironshore.

Somehow, I just can't see that happening.

Try buying the backplate you want from one manufacturer, a harness from another, and the bladder from a third. Then try to put them together.

Some things (hoses, connectors) are standardized. Many/most are not. Manufacturers have a vested interest in keeping their equipment fittings proprietary wherever possible.

I know, and thats a bad thing in my mind.

In some things they have worked it out, like in bicyckle shoes and ski bindings, but it tock a couple of decades to do so.

What is the problem that these things solve?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom