Deco Software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mainedvr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Not a tech diver just thinking, and was wondering with all the different Deco software out there how do individuals plan a dive if they are using different software? And what if the divers are using different gases, say one on trimix the other doing deep air. I am not looking for an answer of what agency the individuals were taught by I understand that side of it just wondering if two people were diving and they were not exactly diving the same software or had other variations how would they plan the dive. As I said above say one was only diving air and the other on mixed gases of some other variety.

Generally a team will plan their dive with similar gases and software. While it is possible for them to do a dive with different gasses and planning methods those don’t tend to promote long term partnerships.

A “Team” usually tends to promote folks with similar methods, gasses, software and approaches to dives. While it’s absolutely possible for folks with different approaches to the dive planning to work together it doesn’t tend to work out long term.

TC:
Generally a team will plan their dive with similar gases and software. While it is possible for them to do a dive with different gasses and planning methods those don’t tend to promote long term partnerships.

A “Team” usually tends to promote folks with similar methods, gasses, software and approaches to dives. While it’s absolutely possible for folks with different approaches to the dive planning to work together it doesn’t tend to work out long term.
Thanks, I kind of figured that would not be very fun having to end a dive sooner than my buddy everytime and spend all that money on He and boat trips would start to get old and I am sure pretty quickly. Just wanted to see if it was common or as I gathered from your answer a PITA

Having different plans and gases within one team is considered bad practice in tech diving. I guess...
Still it is a far too common to see people buddying up for decompression dives with different gases and each one following their own computer without agreed deco algoritm and parameters.

When diving as a team, we make the plan together and also use the same gasses.
Some 'teams' dive in together and at some time in the bottom fase they become solo divers with there own deco schedule/gas mixes.

By far the most important point is to have a plan that all the divers in the group/team understand and agree on.

As I said above say one was only diving air and the other on mixed gases of some other variety.

It's not a big issue actually. The member with highest O2 content limits MOD. The decompression obligation is determined by the member with lowest O2 content. Differences in Helium content have little effect on the decompression.
Say you have two divers, one on air, the other one on EAN32. No big deal, the depth is limited by the Nitrox divers MOD, while the air diver determines the decompression obligation. Or say, one diver uses air, the other one Tx21/35. Their MOD is the same, the decompression will be almost the same.

Still it is a far too common to see people buddying up for decompression dives with different gases and each one following their own computer without agreed deco algoritm and parameters.
Really? I haven't seen this.

In most of my local technical diving, we try to get as close as possible on the gas mixes, and we use the same computer settings. We don't usually get the gases perfectly matched because we partial pressure blend everything, and that is an inexact process. We're pretty close, though. When a variation occurs, it happens on the decompression stops on ascent. If someone's computer frees him to ascend to the next stop and another diver's still has some time, the diver who has been freed to ascend stays with the diver who still has more time. There is no problem with that, because the computer will adjust to that added time.

For me, the biggest challenge is when I do technical dives while vacationing in Florida. On those dives, I do not have a regular buddy. I walk onto a dive boat and somehow find someone I can dive with. On these dives, almost everyone is using the same algorithm and similar gases. Almost everyone is diving roughly the same run time. I usually adjust to the diver(s) I am joining.

If it’s a team dive the gasses and dive plan should be agreed upon in advance. When you were cutting hard tables you had to do this. If you have a true objective you need to do this.
What you’re describing is more of an insta buddy deco dive. Just like in rec diving you fall back to what I call least common denominator diving. Shallowest MOD, shortest bottom time to the agreed upon deco obligation or agreed upon bottom time and deco to clear the most conservative computer and first person to reach agreed upon turn and rock bottom pressures.
It can work but you need to discuss things ahead of time and do some prep. Like having your buddy’s bottom and deco gas setup in your computer in case you need to switch to their gas. Check your computers to see if your running the same algorithm and settings. You can work it out but it’s not what I prefer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom