Ultima Dry Glove System question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's one heck of a testimonial right there. :)

...And I use mine for scraping barnacles and oysters... And cutting pilings with a hydraulic chainsaw. I've even cut steel I-beams with mine, using a hydraulic rip saw (think SawZall underwater).

I've had a leak once, when a sharp oyster part got caught between the outer ring and the stretched part of the glove... But I had JUST loaded that set on the rings, so I may have actually damaged it during a heavy-handed install. Not sure. I DID see a piece of an oyster in there when I unloaded the gloves from the rings, but there were lots of oyster pieces everywhere in both gloves and only one hole.

Truth be told, they're tough as nails... Even better than the 660s, and that's saying a lot; but then, there's all that warmth and dexterity and tactile feel and flexibility too. I'll never go back to a PVC glove after this.

I have so much confidence in the 720s that I have cut my wrist seals out completely so that my suits are that much easier to don and doff. The seals weren't doing me any good anyway - all wrist seals leak on my big tendons... Yes, even the silicone ones.

...So my entire dive is bet on a set of drygloves staying dry. I'm not stupid - I always have a spare set, just in case, already loaded up... But I have yet to use them, and I probably have 300 or 400 dives on the 720s - in a really, really tough environment that includes a ton of hurricane cleanup and salvage.

They're like buying a Ferrari... That rides like a Cadillac... And seats like a Suburban. It's the best of all worlds, for sure.

...And at an average of what - $10 with shipping - they beat out the PVC-only DUI ZipGloves by like 96%. (ZipGloves are $180). :)

...But I've said enough. I know I sound like a salesman - and truly, the only drygloves that affect me are my own. Feel free to do whatever for your own setup. I did, and am really happy with the results.

Hey, I was installing the Waterproof Ultima Dryglove Ring System on one of my other drysuits the other day and decided to go ahead and make a video on how I do it... And what modifications I make to make my rings "sealless."

Hope this helps somebody out. Enjoy! :)

I just sent Chris from DRIS an email and asked when he was going to carry the 720s in stock. I'll let you know what his reply is.

So what did Chris say? I meant to email him myself and forgot to.

Oh, actually I forgot all about it. I never heard back from him.

Hey, I was installing the Waterproof Ultima Dryglove Ring System on one of my other drysuits the other day and decided to go ahead and make a video on how I do it... And what modifications I make to make my rings "sealless."

Hope this helps somebody out. Enjoy! :)

I don't dive anywhere close to as much as SeeJay does but earlier this year he convinced me this was the way to go. I have yet to have a leak while not really having any wrist seals in place. Donning and doffing the suit is supper easy. The only part that is now marginally harder is that I have to put my gloves on before I have my hood on, then burp the suit from the neck. This can be a little harder if you have additional layers under the Showa gloves (reduced dexterity) but having a buddy nearby always solves that problem. I would recommend this to anyone who is wondering if it's worth it :)

Me too. Last thing I do. That's kind of the advantage of the Waterproof Ultima Dryglove System vs. DUI Zipglove.

They're the last thing I take off too. I will pull the hood off, but then rinse myself and all my gear with the gloves on. Once everything's clean, that's when the gloves and the suit come off.

Maybe I've been doing it wrong all along. I had put my gloves on to seal everything up and then burp the suit prior to putting on my hood. Not having the wrist seals any more if I did the gloves last I would have to try to burp the suit after my hood was in place (tucked under my dry suit collar). With gloves and possibly layers under the gloves I thought that would be difficult. Most of the dives are from a dock or boat so I didn't want to jump in an risk having the neck seal burp a lot of air on entry into the water and have water rush in. So for me I thought it was easiest to deal with the hood last after having the gloves on and everything sealed inside. I suppose from shore it could be easy to just slowly purge from the shoulder vent. I'd be happy to hear an easier way :)

I leave my vent wide open. Most of the air in my suit gets out through the vent during the giant stride or walking into the water. I've never had enough air in the suit to make the neck seal burp. When I gear up I have my gear on and usually have to walk a few steps to get my gloves on. By the time I've bent over to put my fins on most of the air in the suit is gone.

Ah, I gotcha, EAN86. Yeah - makes sense what you're saying.

I don't know if there's a "right" and a "wrong" way of doing it... But I can tell you that I don't bother to pull a seal to burp my suit either... Just like Max. I might squat and just let it all flow out of the exhaust valve - after I've attached my gloves, of course - if I'm really concerned about it.

Most of the time I forget to do even that. Jumping in the water water pushes it out too. No biggie.

I just kinda ignore it. Works fine.

Back
Top Bottom