Ssi advanced open water vs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kasper wendelboe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Not the advanced adventure wich i guess is the same as padi advanced owd. But the one you get for 4 full courses.. What is that the same as? Padi People confuse me when i try to tell them. Including a deep course. Is the advanced ssi not the same as a advanced both padi and ssi?

There is no equivalent PADI course. The way I would explain it, is that SSI Advanced Open Water would be like the specialty requirement for PADI's Master Suba Diver. With the addition of Stress and Rescue and 50 dives you will be an SSI Master Diver.

Bob

Not the advanced adventure wich i guess is the same as padi advanced owd. But the one you get for 4 full courses.. What is that the same as? Padi People confuse me when i try to tell them. Including a deep course. Is the advanced ssi not the same as a advanced both padi and ssi?

There is no equivalent from PADI. SSI adventure diver matches up to PADI AOW (trying out 5 specialties). SSI Master Diver and PADI Master Scuba Diver are also pretty much equivalent (both needing 5 specialties, 50 dives, and their respective rescue certifications). SSI has the "in-between" SSI Advanced Open Water while PADI has no designation for people completing 4 specialties to correspond to it.

good explanations above.
another difference is that padi "requires" you to take the padi advanced diver course to move forward in their training program. ssi does not require you to complete the adventurer course (which is the equivalent to padi adv ow).
remember.....the ssi specialty, adv, and master diver levels are "recognition" levels. they are not courses.

another difference is that padi "requires" you to take the padi advanced diver course to move forward in their training program.

Some shops may work it that way, but the actual PADI requirements for courses do not require you to have AOW to become a Rescue diver. It probably is easier and perhaps cheaper to take AOW rather than avoid that cert., as it would be to take SSI AA instead of their AOW.

Bob

Some shops may work it that way, but the actual PADI requirements for courses do not require you to have AOW to become a Rescue diver. It probably is easier and perhaps cheaper to take AOW rather than avoid that cert., as it would be to take SSI AA instead of their AOW.
Bob

very interesting
then i apologize to the op for a misleading response.
i must have been "mislead" myself. i was told by more than one padi shop that the advanced open water course was a prerequisite to move further. i hold the padi adv diver cert. this was a number of years ago. maybe the standards have changed ? or maybe i was just mislead unintentionally
thx for clarifying bob

For all practical purposes, the AOW is indeed required for PADI Rescue Diver.

Here are the prerequisites from the instructor Manual:

Diver Prerequisites
• 12 years old
Note: 12-14 year old divers may earn Junior Rescue Diver certifications
• PADI (Junior) Adventure Diver certification – must
have completed the Underwater Navigation
Adventure Dive
• PADI Open Water Divers may participate in Knowledge
Development and Rescue Exercises in confined water
• EFR® Primary and Secondary Care training within 24
months. Training may be completed along with rescue
diver course.​
So you only need the Adventure Diver certification, which is a certification almost no one gets. It is primarily there because junior divers cannot get AOW because they cannot do the deep dive.

So the padi aowd and the ssi advanced adventurer. Is the same.... Try 5 different courses. Usually deep, navigation night dive... And 2 more that the dive shop determines. Right?

So the padi aowd and the ssi advanced adventurer. Is the same.... Try 5 different courses. Usually deep, navigation night dive... And 2 more that the dive shop determines. Right?

Pretty much. Deep and underwater nav are required for AOW, night dive isn't a required one for PADI AOW though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom