Dive Ops with "Giant Stride" entry boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I now prefer the back roll — IF everyone is paying attention! The only time I ever had a problem was when someone backrolled right on top of me. Because it is hard to see behind you, you need to get the OK to go from the crew member organizing the entry. If you are one closer to the front of the boat, and the boat is heading into the current, you will start drifting toward the back of the boat when you enter — and you’ll be immediately behind other divers waiting to enter. If another diver wasn’t paying attention during the briefing, and doesn’t wait for the go sign from the crew, you might find a diver, tank first, coming down on you. I avoid that by keeping my BCD empty, descending about 3-feet immediately upon entry, and kicking away from the boat.

I was on a drift dive, which meant we all entered at the same time, where another diver didn't immediately back away from the small boat, and I backed into him. The next thing I knew, there was the small boat hull hitting my head, leaving me with a head gash I could feel but not see. I pointed to it to the guide underwater, who indicated it was okay. Well, when we got back on the small boat after the dive, it was apparent to everyone that it wasn't such a little gash...

I'm not sure why giant stride is the determining factor as the backroll is just as easy once you do it a few times...
It took me a few times to relax into the backroll, but it's no problem now. The only thing is, some time on every trip I manage to forget to bring my knees up as I roll back and I end up catching the tops of my calves on the gunwale. Ouch.

Bad technique or just a bit of bad luck can result in injury with either entry.

The only thing is, some time on every trip I manage to forget to bring my knees up as I roll back and I end up catching the tops of my calves on the gunwale. Ouch.
Yep. Especially for the vertically challenged (me).

Headed down in 12 days. Flip flopping on whether to just "wing it" on operators when we get there because we want to dive on our own schedule. My wife prefers a boat where we can do a giant stride into the water. We dove with Dive Paradise last time and it was OK. I can't remember the name of the other boat we did a single dive on but it was a giant stride entry as well. So, what are some operators you all would recommend? If our experience is good we will dive with them for all of our dives and are hoping to get in a night dive as well.

I was there a number of years ago with the operator that is across from Casa Del Mar but not sure if they are still there or not. Thanks Folks!

Contact Cesar with Carribean Divers. Big boat. Giant stride and a sun deck to lay out on while you are headed to the reefs.

H My wife prefers a boat where we can do a giant stride into the water. W

My girlfriend has the same requirements (we just did some giant steps from a dock so that was good enough :wink: ) Scuba Club Cozumel has some bigger boats (Reef Star, Reef Cat, maybe another). Also, I talked to Dive With Martin and they have a big boat but couldn't guarantee we'd get on it.

Aldora has the Felicity, a 43? Foot boat. We have dove of it a couple of times in 50 or so dives. Typical big boat. Lots of room, head, shade, etc. I don't think it goes out every day...but I'm not positive about that.

I have also seen people giant stride off the back of 6 pack boats. Our first dive trip was with Dive With Martin, we were certified in Oklahoma and when they said "Back Roll" my wife and daughters literally had the deer in the headlights look. They GS'ed off the back of the boat first dive...backrolled the second dive.

Another option would be to gear up in the water. Unless the current was unusually strong, I can't imagine a dive master not helping a diver with whatever limitations they may have. A lady that is a member of a group we travel with has a bad back and dons (and doffs) her gear in the water. It's never ever been an issue with anyone. Divers by nature are a friendly bunch, sometimes there is an asshat on the boat, but nobody cares.

We're all here to have a great dive.

Good luck,
Jay

Blue Angel also has a larger boat with a head and a swim door at the transom for giant stride entry. They usually run it for the later morning dives.

We dive with Scubalife Cozumel, they have a modified 6 pack boat that allows for GS or back roll. The back roll slots are lowered so closer to water. You could practice both methods if you like.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom