Anything you don't like about BP/W rig?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What don't I like about BP/W setups? Wingnuts.
Most BP&Wings don't need wingnuts and those that do don't need to have them loosened or removed to change a single tank. I say "most", but I can't think of one that does.

Really? With doubles? Tell me more.
Please read. I clearly wrote:
to change a single tank.
I doubt the OP is interested in doubles, but rather is thinking about going from a traditional BCD to a BP&Wing. That's what I got from her OP.

However, if I'm taking multiple doubles (I had to do it only once), then I have a dedicated BP&Wing for each one. More often, I've just filled the twinset on the boat between dives.

Well, Pete, I did read, but it was a bit hard to determine what you meant, since the first independent clause said, "Most BP&Wings don't need wingnuts...." But OK, I see what you meant now.

Most BP&Wings don't need wingnuts....
I see more BP&Wings on singles than twinsets, especially with the advent of sidemount. Now that I'm living in Cave Country, it's only about fifty/fifty.

Really? With doubles? Tell me more.

You do not need wing nuts, even if it is convenient, i have seen divers use dome nuts and a socket tool.

I have even seen one who have short bolts on the tank bands, with a long nut loctite to them, and Allen key bolts from the front of the BP.

What don't I like about BP/W setups? Wingnuts. Yes, that's right, wingnuts. And washers. And dropping same, usually having those foolish bits bounce or roll to where you can't find them. Round knurled nuts are not an improvement, in part because they roll better than wingnuts. Having them roll or bounce overboard is especially irksome. There's gotta be a better way. That said, carry some spares and life will go on.

There are some quick connect systems i have seen on old AGA twinsets. its one part you fasten on your BP and another part you fasten on the twinset.

Here is a system still in production.
cdqr4-tank-wing-quick-release-couplings-478-p.jpg

After using a backplate and wing for many years, quite honestly there just doesn't seem to be any conventional BCDs I feel comfortable with (and I've tried a lot of them). Something is always not quite right... the air cell is too big with too much lift, hard to get good trim, etc. As for pockets, for many years I've used pockets mounted on my exposure suit or a pair of 2mm neoprene shorts with pockets. I much prefer this to any BCD pockets.

There are some quick connect systems i have seen on old AGA twinsets. its one part you fasten on your BP and another part you fasten on the twinset.

Here is a system still in production.
View attachment 484789

Nice! And, presumably the BP/W side is detachable. Hmmm...wonder how much 8 tank side and 2 BP/W side adapters cost...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom